Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
Hi. I have a Mac mini 2012 with 2 similar SSD’s inside.

Under Catalina I used Rafal Lesniaks method to make it boot from RAID which worked great and had 1GB/s I/O speeds as a consequence.
Apparently Big Sur broke this option. At least I couldn’t make it work and no one replied to my requests for help (I think with OCLP it can be done)

Because Big Sur has advantages over Catalina I want to move on with OCLP.
What I did so far:
- was fruitless efforts to make it work with RAID, and now:

I combined both drives in a:
2x64GB CoreStorage Volume-128 FusionDrive (with diskutil apfs command not with reset fusion), and a;
2x936GB striped Raidset ‘Data’ made with the original internet recovery diskutil version combining disk0s3 with disk1s3

I’m in the proces of re-installing with OCLP Big Sur 11.6 and:
A-would love to hear what other efforts have been made/if there are better options (faster? More reliable)
B-wonder who else is interested in an optimal Mac mini 2012 ‘server’ configuration, i can’t imagine i’m the only one

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
So far I would recommend this. It's still working as intended and I had zero to none crashes/glitches.
I must say I find OCLP on this machine a gift from heaven. The install went flawless, updates too.
The only thing is that I had to dive a bit into was partitioning the SSD's since the newer diskutil just does not allow you to do this properly but older versions do.

Last edited:

Bonari49

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2018
So far I would recommend this. It's still working as intended and I had zero to none crashes/glitches.
I must say I find OCLP on this machine a gift from heaven. The install went flawless, updates too.
The only thing is dat I had to dive a bit into was partitioning the SSD's since the newer diskutil just does not allow you to do this properly but older versions do.
That’s very helpful. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.