Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Some of you were asking me to tell how I got Java 1.6 and Java 1.7 to work on PowerPC OS X 10.5, but I would rather tell you how to easily get it on your own PPC Mac.

Download the file I prepared:

(http://www.mediafire.com/file/ybafhfbu4uihg5g/java_6_and_7.zip/file)

1. Download both the above file containing Java 6 and 7, and the Java Updater below.

2. Unzip both "java 6 and 7.zip" and "Java Updater.zip".

3. Drag the "java 6 and 7" folder to your Desktop.

4. Open up a terminal, and drag "Java 6 and 7 Installer.sh" into your terminal window.

5. Hit Enter, enter your password, and watch it fly.

6. Once it's finished installing Java 6 and 7, drag "Switch to Java 6.sh" or "Switch to Java 7.sh" into the terminal window, depending on what version you require. Hit Enter, then input your password if asked.

If you want to revert back to the Leopard's default Java 5, do the same with "Switch to Java 5.sh".

Don't hesitate to give feedback how it's working, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• Java Updater.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Any concerns about security?

Because I remember when this happened:

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/art...ables-java-on-macs-after-major-security-alert

I seem to recall even we PPC users were advised to stop using Java, because its cross-platform nature made PowerPC systems vulnerable to attack.

Why is Apple able to remotely access any user's system at any given point in time? So much for their "privacy" rhetoric...

Perhaps it's a blessing we only got up to 10.5.

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Any concerns about security?

Because I remember when this happened:

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/art...ables-java-on-macs-after-major-security-alert

I seem to recall even we PPC users were advised to stop using Java, because its cross-platform nature made PowerPC systems vulnerable to attack.

I’m not concerned about security and if you dont use the Java than no problem. Even if someone wants to hack your Mac he will be surprised with the PPC architecture because I dont think the whole programs/viruses runs solely on Java. As someone will try to do something else outside Java environment I highly doubt it he will have his program PPC compatible.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I’m not concerned about security and if you dont use the Java than no problem. Even if someone wants to hack your Mac he will be surprised with the PPC architecture because I dont think the whole programs/viruses runs solely on Java. As someone will try to do something else outside Java environment I highly doubt it he will have his program PPC compatible.

Yes, that was pretty much the response of the PPC Mac community back when it happened. Security by obscurity.

I don't disagree. I just wondered if you were aware and/or concerned, and if so what measures you took to address it.

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Yes, that was pretty much the response of the PPC Mac community back when it happened. Security by obscurity.

I don't disagree. I just wondered if you were aware and/or concerned, and if so what measures you took to address it.

I am curious to see if people will install it and if they will how they will react. If they will be glad to have it or something. So anyone that will start using these Java version please give me a feedback!

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
Why is Apple able to remotely access any user's system at any given point in time? So much for their "privacy" rhetoric...

I'm not so sure I agree with the MacObserver's characterization of Apple's action as "remote." I mean, it technically was, but it's not as though it was some secret backdoor built into the OS; and the term "remote access" definitely rings alarm bells among privacy-minded users.

According to the article, the means used to remotely disable the Java plugin was via the "Xprotect.plist" definitions that Apple kept updated as part of the malware protection introduced in Snow Leopard, and though I can't say for sure (wasn't using an Intel Mac anywhere near that time), it seems you had to choose to update it via Software Update.

What likely happened is: Apple changed the definitions to blacklist the Java plugin, put out an update, and when users selected and ran the update, Xprotect.plist did what it was supposed to do and disabled the plugin. So sure, it's "remote" but not without the user's acceptance of it.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK

Enough with the scaremongering. Apple updated the definition file just like any other security software uses. Bad choice of words in the article. "Can be remotely updated by Apple" IS NOT remote access software.

Xprotect is essentially anti-malware that links into the Gatekeeper security from OS X 10.7 upwards to check the validity of applications. See the Zoom thing from earlier in the week.

It's technology from two OS X versions above anything a PPC can run.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
I'm curious to know the source of where you found these versions.
My legal team is maybe not quite as big as theirs, but I believe they do have to provide Sun's open source. IANAL

http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk6/
http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk6/promoted/b27/openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz
sha1 (openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz) = 5343d41886adb7d01acfae9120881769758bab93
md5 (openjdk-6-src-b27-26_oct_2012.tar.gz) = 3a0963158e07c8829c8bd31a698bd23d

https://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk7/

:oops:
The java.net site is experiencing technical difficulties. We are aware of the issue and are working as quick as possible to correct the issue. Please try again in a few moments.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reactions: z970

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
I'm curious to know the source of where you found these versions.
Honestly I dont know the exact links but the Java 6 is from some developer version of OS X and the Java 7 in some thread on some PPC forum. The 1.6.0 went smoothly to get working, all the files were there, but the 1.7.0 was pain... There was just the JRE and JDK and none of the Apple specific stuff like command files so I had to get them somehow there. But its now working so its good.

Reactions: mmphosis

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Firstly, thanks to the OP for the solution. Has anybody in here tried recent java applications on PowerPC Leopard? I'm really tempted to try jDownloader on my PowerBook G4 and PowerMac G5 since I have yet to find an application for PowerPC to download from one click hosters.

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Firstly, thanks to the OP for the solution. Has anybody in here tried recent java applications on PowerPC Leopard? I'm really tempted to try jDownloader on my PowerBook G4 and PowerMac G5 since I have yet to find an application for PowerPC to download from one click hosters.
I am running the IDE for my microcontrollers in the Java 1.7 and Arduino IDE in Java 1.6 so just try it out if you want.

Reactions: barracuda156

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Forgive my unsuspectingness, but are there any immediate advantages or abilities we now gain by having Java .6 and .7 available?

Reactions: Raging Dufus

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
the inner 12 year old in me wants to know does a More modern of minecraft now run on PPC? :D
It doesnt require any special libraries so I can say yes.

Forgive my unsuspectingness, but are there any immediate advantages or abilities we now gain by having Java .6 and .7 available?
You can run newer versions of programs.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I thought it would be helpful, so I simplified the guide so it's easier to follow.

If it would be appreciated, I might just end up making a downloadable script that installs everything for you...

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
I thought it would be helpful, so I simplified the guide so it's easier to follow.

If it would be appreciated, I might just end up making a downloadable script that installs everything for you...
Thanks man now it looks awesome! That script would be very useful thing to also have in the post. So the original post can have the manual install and the script install way.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Alright so, there's nothing wrong with the 1.6 you included. All good. But there are two aliases to 1.7 in the 'into Versions' folder, neither leading anywhere, so the only 1.7 present at all is in the 'into JavaVirtualMachines' folder as a .jdk.

Simple oversight? Maybe upload another version with a fixed 1.7?

Picture 1.png

Last edited:

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Alright so, there's nothing wrong with the 1.6 you included. All good. But there are two aliases to 1.7 in the 'into Versions' folder, neither leading anywhere, so the only 1.7 present at all is in the 'into JavaVirtualMachines' folder as a .jdk.

Simple oversight? Maybe upload another version with a fixed 1.7?

View attachment 850053
The 1.7 should be pointing to 1.7.0 and 1.7.0 should be pointing to Java home folder in the 1.7.0 JDK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.