Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I’ve recently re-acquired my original iPad. It’s running iOS 5 which I seem to recall slowed it down a little at the time. There’s a thread here from years ago suggesting 4.3.3 was the last fast one for the OG model. Do people still agree with that?

I’m somewhat inclined to go for the OS it originally came with, just for… authenticity? Something like that.

Where does one acquire old versions, and are there any hoops to jump through to get them to install?

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
I have the same question, shame that nobody is replying.

I have recently started to use my iPad 1 for my work and love it, but I am trying to figure out, how to redownload the old iWork apps, which I bought when they first came out. I have restored my iPad, and did realize too late, that I no longer have a backup of my old apps (GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, Keynote)
For some reason, even though that I bought them, I think in 2012(?) it shows in my "purchased", that I bought them in 2015 (this is when I got my 1st gen iPad mini).
I am really desparate, to make the iWork working again, would appreciate, if there is any "super geek pro", who could help me to figure out

Last edited by a moderator:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
It’s been a while since I’ve broken out the OG iPad, but I had the best performance on iOS 5 with a jailbreak.

colinphelps

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2021
NSW, Australia
Please also be aware that iOS/iPadOS versions hosted for download by anyone other than Apple have also been known to be compromised for malicious content.
Please do your research.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You can’t go backwards without having previously hacked your iPad and stored your SHSH BLOBs. Unless something new has occurred due to the hardware vulnerabilities found that power the checkrain(?) exploit, I think you’re stuck on whatever is currently loaded on your iPad.

Im just bummed that I can’t get my iPad1 to boot anymore.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
If anyone is an old iOS expert in this field, please pm me. I really need to figure out, how to restore my iPad 1 to its formal glory.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
You can’t go backwards without having previously hacked your iPad and stored your SHSH BLOBs. Unless something new has occurred due to the hardware vulnerabilities found that power the checkrain(?) exploit, I think you’re stuck on whatever is currently loaded on your iPad.

Im just bummed that I can’t get my iPad1 to boot anymore.
Did you try the Hard reset? If your battery is dead, then there is nothing you can do, without changing it. If you think the battery works, try to put it on a charger and try hard reset, if nothing DFU mode and restore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.