Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I have a 2012 (at least I think it’s a 2012) MBP15 running Mojave 10.14.6. I need to install Mojave 10.14 ONLY on to an EXTERNAL 250gb *SATA HD. (Was hoping it was as simple as connecting the external drive to my MBP15 and just copying and pasting the OS files into the external drive, but it’s not.) I watched some YouTube videos but most require the Mac Mojave Installer app which is no longer available in the Apple App Store. I was thinking I could use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper but so far all the videos I’ve seen are for cloning EVERYTHING that’s on the MPP15 on to the external drive when all I want is the OS.

Got any suggestions for how to install Mojave 10.14 on to my external SATA drive?

Thank you!😀

*In case you’re wondering why I’m not using an SSD it’s because after I install Mojave on to this external SATA drive then I will install that drive into a MBP17 and sell it.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have a 2012 (at least I think it’s a 2012) MBP15 running Mojave 10.14.6. I need to install Mojave 10.14 ONLY on to an EXTERNAL 250gb *SATA HD. (Was hoping it was as simple as connecting the external drive to my MBP15 and just copying and pasting the OS files into the external drive, but it’s not.) I watched some YouTube videos but most require the Mac Mojave Installer app which is no longer available in the Apple App Store. I was thinking I could use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper but so far all the videos I’ve seen are for cloning EVERYTHING that’s on the MPP15 on to the external drive when all I want is the OS.

Got any suggestions for how to install Mojave 10.14 on to my external SATA drive?

Thank you!😀

*In case you’re wondering why I’m not using an SSD it’s because after I install Mojave on to this external SATA drive then I will install that drive into a MBP17 and sell it.
A few things;
!. Here is an link to a Apple page that has links to get macOS installers:

2. The last 17" MBP was late 2011 and it does not support Mojave. The max macOS that it supports is High Sierra (10.13).

Reactions: magentawave

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would not even give away a working MBP without an SSD, particularly with the prices for new SATA SSD. 1TB is common for less than $50, 500GB for less than $30.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
A few things;
!. Here is an link to a Apple page that has links to get macOS installers:

2. The last 17" MBP was late 2011 and it does not support Mojave. The max macOS that it supports is High Sierra (10.13).
I didn’t know a 2011 MBP17 can’t go higher than High Sierra. Thank you.

So the question now is: How do I install High Sierra on an empty external hard drive?

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I would not even give away a working MBP without an SSD, particularly with the prices for new SATA SSD. 1TB is common for less than $50, 500GB for less than $30.
It’s been a while since I shopped for hard drives and just checked and was shocked at how inexpensive the SSD’s are now!

I’m done putting $ into this 17 and already have the mechanical hard drive so I’ll leave it up to the new owner to replace it with an SSD.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Make a bootable High Sierra installer. A 16GB USB flash drive would work OK.
You can download HS using the link for HS in CoastalOR post #2.
Apple has steps for using the terminal to create a bootable installer from the installer app that you download for HS.
Connect the blank external to your 2012 MBPro.
Boot to the USB installer that you made. Install HS, choosing your external as the destination for the install.
When the install gets to the point where it gives you options to setup the user, just shut down (Command-Q will ask if you want to shut down, so do that)
Move the now-loaded drive to your MBPro 17. Leave it to the buyer to finish their own user setup.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
May I ask what objective you are trying to reach?
What is the purpose of an external drive that has the OS on it, but "nothing else"?

In any case...

Download SuperDuper from here (just click the link):

Use SuperDuper to clone the contents of the MBP internal drive to the external.
Doing this is AS EASY AS IT GETS. Nothing will work more easily.
SD will even properly format the drive before cloning.

Once the drive is cloned, now manually delete everything that you don't wish to "be there".

You might need to boot from the drive in order to do this.
For example:
To delete non-Apple applications, you would
- boot to external drive
- use something like the excellent "AppCleaner" (free utility)
- remove unwanted apps using AppCleaner

To delete user accounts, I would do it this way:
- boot from the external drive
- create a NEW user account with administrative privileges.
- give it ONLY a username and password
- now, log INTO the new account
- next, DELETE all other existing accounts, leaving only the "new, empty" one.

Now you can boot from the external SSD if required, and get to the finder, but all your "other previous data" will be gone.

Actually, if you're looking for an emergency external boot drive, just create a cloned backup using SD or CarbonCopyCloner.

Either will serve you well in a "moment of extreme need"...

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
May I ask what objective you are trying to reach?
What is the purpose of an external drive that has the OS on it, but "nothing else"?

In any case...

Download SuperDuper from here (just click the link):

Use SuperDuper to clone the contents of the MBP internal drive to the external.
Doing this is AS EASY AS IT GETS. Nothing will work more easily.
SD will even properly format the drive before cloning.

Once the drive is cloned, now manually delete everything that you don't wish to "be there".

You might need to boot from the drive in order to do this.
For example:
To delete non-Apple applications, you would
- boot to external drive
- use something like the excellent "AppCleaner" (free utility)
- remove unwanted apps using AppCleaner

To delete user accounts, I would do it this way:
- boot from the external drive
- create a NEW user account with administrative privileges.
- give it ONLY a username and password
- now, log INTO the new account
- next, DELETE all other existing accounts, leaving only the "new, empty" one.

Now you can boot from the external SSD if required, and get to the finder, but all your "other previous data" will be gone.

Actually, if you're looking for an emergency external boot drive, just create a cloned backup using SD or CarbonCopyCloner.

Either will serve you well in a "moment of extreme need"...
After I install High Sierra (ONLY) on the external drive I will then install that HD into the MBP17 which I will be selling.

Thanks for all the instructions but if you read back you will see that apparently Mojave doesn’t work on a late 2011 MBP17 so I’ll be installing High Sierra instead.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Make a bootable High Sierra installer. A 16GB USB flash drive would work OK.
You can download HS using the link for HS in CoastalOR post #2.
Apple has steps for using the terminal to create a bootable installer from the installer app that you download for HS.
Connect the blank external to your 2012 MBPro.
Boot to the USB installer that you made. Install HS, choosing your external as the destination for the install.
When the install gets to the point where it gives you options to setup the user, just shut down (Command-Q will ask if you want to shut down, so do that)
Move the now-loaded drive to your MBPro 17. Leave it to the buyer to finish their own user setup.
Ok, thank you very much!🤙🏼😀👍

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I found this 2 1/2 minute long video showing how to create a bootable USB drive for High Sierra. Seems straight forward.

Would you do anything different?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, that will work, although I would just drag the flash drive into the Terminal window, rather than type in the pathname for the flash drive. Saves a few seconds, and avoids spelling mistakes when you are getting ready to make the bootable installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.