Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Word 1.0 didn't so much "install" as it ran from the floppy drive. ;-) That being said, LibreOffice on a modern computer is pretty good at interpreting really early Mac Word formats if you can get your original files off of the floppy disks - assuming your only goal is to read the contents.

Reactions: green86

Cloud909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Ohio
Word 1.0 didn't so much "install" as it ran from the floppy drive. ;-) That being said, LibreOffice on a modern computer is pretty good at interpreting really early Mac Word formats if you can get your original files off of the floppy disks - assuming your only goal is to read the contents.

Please elaborate just a little for me. The macintosh se has two floppy disc drives. After booting the OS, do I remove the os disk, put in word, and then put in the floppy containing the file I want to open?

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
The Word disk itself might boot! I was just looking at Excel 1.0.4, and it has a System folder and will boot an SE just fine. I don't know if it was exactly contemporaneous with Word 1.0, but it's worth a try. If so, you just put the Word disk in one drive, boot it up, start up Word, and drop in the document disk in the second drive. It will actually take a little experimentation on your part - if you need to boot with an OS disk, it may or may not be able to be removed, depending on what demands Word puts on the OS. The Mac will ask to swap disks if it needs something it doesn't have, so it's hard to go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.