Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have a S0 SS still running 2.2.1 - I was wanting to keep it at 2.2.1 for collectible/nostalgic reasons - the OS will change over time and later on it would be cool to see the original watch running early software. (For example, the side button no longer brings up the circular list of contacts)

The only problem is that the Watch was unpaired with a device and is now back at the pairing screen.

Now, the Watch won't allow setup until the OS is updated to presumably 3.x.x which is not my desire but I can't seem to get any function out of the Watch without doing so.

I am met with this message

"To finish pairing, your Apple Watch must be running the latest versions of watchOS."

The only options I have are

Update Now
Skip the Update and Exit Set Up

Is anyone aware of a workaround that would at least allow me to use the Watch to some degree without updating it beyond 2.2.1?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a S0 SS still running 2.2.1 - I was wanting to keep it at 2.2.1 for collectible/nostalgic reasons - the OS will change over time and later on it would be cool to see the original watch running early software. (For example, the side button no longer brings up the circular list of contacts)

The only problem is that the Watch was unpaired with a device and is now back at the pairing screen.

Now, the Watch won't allow setup until the OS is updated to presumably 3.x.x which is not my desire but I can't seem to get any function out of the Watch without doing so.

I am met with this message

"To finish pairing, your Apple Watch must be running the latest versions of watchOS."

The only options I have are

Update Now
Skip the Update and Exit Set Up

Is anyone aware of a workaround that would at least allow me to use the Watch to some degree without updating it beyond 2.2.1?

No. Either you retain the WatchOS you currently have or update it to the latest.

Last edited:

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What iOS version is your iPhone on?

Is the issue not that the iOS version is too high to allow watchOS 2?

I’m wondering if iOS 9 is needed here.

iOS 10.

I was wondering the same thing. I have another device running iOS 8 which cannot pair with it at the moment.

Perhaps iOS 9 would allow?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iOS 10.

I was wondering the same thing. I have another device running iOS 8 which cannot pair with it at the moment.

iOS 9 is not being signed anymore, so you would not be able to upgrade to that version. Secondly, Your Apple Watch and iPhone have to be able to communicate in tandem with each other for the update to be successful.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
iOS 10.

I think iOS 9 is worth a go if iOS 9 is the most recent OS for that device... as noted if iOS 10 is available for it you can’t choose to go for iOS 9.

iOStim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You are right. iOS 9 is not being signed anymore. The iPhone 5 that I have is sitting on iOS 8 > no way to get it to iOS 9 that I am aware of, the recommended software updates is iOS 10.x.x

I might try tracking down a phone running iOS 9 to see if it can be paired.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.