Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuelpatterso

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
How important is it that the partition be named "Untitled" :confused:? I've ran plenty of sudo commands using OS X terminal in the past where I had to escape spaces, which you've done in your example. So I'm not sure that this is absolutely necessary unless you are a copy and paster.

Having said that, I am currently making my first attempt at this, but my USB drive volume was named "OS X Base System". This is how the command looks that I ran:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Which began working right away - it formatted the USB and renamed it "Install OS X Mavericks"; however, it stopped at "Copying installer files to disk..." and has not continued since then, HOWEVER AGAIN, only a few minutes after entering my system password & kicking this off the drive remounted and the Mavericks install application was opened automatically from the drive. So it seems like it worked, just not as expected.

I will give it another try, after I wait another hour or two for this thing to finish. If it doesn't by then I'll continue with: first reformatting the drive with a GUID partition table + Mac OS Journaled with the partition name being "Untitled" to see if it yields similar results.

P.S. I'm on an early 2011 MPB (MacBookPro8,3).

This is better than osxdaily's method (which should only be used for DP1 anyway, not DP4 or the GM):

To make a bootable USB of the GM, use this method:

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

You should see something like this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM from the USB.

This is probably going to be the same for the public release.

Note that this will also install a recovery partition (which osxdaily's method doesn't do).

Last edited:

joshuelpatterso

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hey hey allright - it finished just now :cool::

Code:
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

I'm going to move forward with a fresh installation of Mavericks with this. Also for others' sake: I'm doing this because I want to enable FileVault on my HD and need a recovery partition to do so (installing Mavericks the first time did not do that).

joshuelpatterso

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
P.S. I highly recommend that if you use tywebb13's method to run the Repair Disk / Repair Permissions operation from Disk Utility. I would also like to know where he found this information (if he would be so kind :cool:)

O.K. Play-by-play for the rest of you folks trying this at home:

So when I rebooted it actually brought up the Mavericks Recovery utilities, with one major difference: an extra option to install fresh mavericks. I chose that and it took ~20 minutes.

It rebooted itself as it said it would, but to my surprise it booted back into the installation screen and began "Installing OS X on the disk "MyDiskNameHere"...

I didn't have to choose anything or give any input - it just did it's thing. Now waiting ~34min left. Will update this post with the results.

Edit/Update:
Looks like it worked just fine:

Code:
joshuelsmbp:~ joshuel$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
    #:                               TYPE NAME                               SIZE                               IDENTIFIER
    0:        GUID_partition_scheme                                       *256.1GB                         disk0
    0:                                  EFI EFI                                  *209.7MB                         disk0s1
    0:                         Apple_HFS Joshuel                            *256.1MB                         disk0s2
    0:                        Apple_Boot Recovery HD                     *256.1MB                         disk0s3

My guess as to why it took so long is that the recovery partition needs to be at the front of the drive, so shifting everything takes time. Don't quote me on that - just an educated guess at best.

**Update 5:39 CST**
Step 1. I ran Verify Disk from Disk Utility - this stopped (Disk Util unlocked and Activity Monitor showed that repair_packages was no longer using system resources). This happened as soon as it got to "Checking extended attributes file." It did not indicate that it had finished, filing this as a UI bug (if possible).

Step 2. I ran Verify Disk Permissions on the volume and it found several issues

Code:
Group differs on "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist"; should be 80; group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist";should be -rw-rw-rw- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Group differs on "Library/Java"; should be 0; group is 80.
Permissions differ on "Library/Java"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framew.../libruby.2.0.dylib"; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

, so

Step 3. I ran Repair Disk Permissions (this appeared to be successful - no warnings or error messages, I have a bad gut feeling about this though).

Step 4. I reran Verify Disk. Same results as before. I'm guessing I don't have any disk errors, but the permissions errors are disconcerting, but I have no idea what it means (nor do I have time to investigate right now - if you have time please send me a PM with your results if you post them!).

Step 5. I ran Repair Disk. It found no issues, and it ran verify permissions again and found the exact same errors.

Code:
Group differs on "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist"; should be 80; group is 0.
Permissions differ on "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist";should be -rw-rw-rw- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired "Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist"
Group differs on "Library/Java"; should be 0; group is 80.
Permissions differ on "Library/Java"; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .
Repaired "Library/Java"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framew.../libruby.2.0.dylib"; should be lrwxrwxrwx ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Reparied "System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.famework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/libruby.2.0.dylib"

Step 6. I reran Repair Disk Permissions. No issues reported.

Step 7. I enabled FileVault, it is currently rebooting to do it's thing.

I am mostly happy (pending no further issues), and will update you all with a new post if anything should occur relating to this installation.

Thanks tywebb13 for the great info. Hope this helps as well.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yes. You can change the drive name and other things - but I would only admit this to people who know exactly what they are doing with terminal.

I have found that many who tried to alter things in my instructions who do not know how to use terminal properly have stuffed it up.

So if you don't really use terminal much, just stick strictly to my instructions, copy and paste the command, rather than type it, and everything should be OK.

Apple have a page on it, but it is really written for those who know how to use terminal: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856 . They didn't make a user friendly guide unfortunately.

I think it is fair to say though that most people who use mavericks and want to make a bootable usb are not experts at terminal which is why I wrote my more user-friendly instructions.

(BTW, Apple published their less user-friendly instructions 17 days after I published mine)

createinstallmedia was first included in developer preview 4 because at the time the only bootable version available was developer preview 1 (there was no full installer for DP2 and DP3) and the very objectionable method for making a bootable usb for DP1 (in particular, the step involving making invisible files visible) was potentially a recipe for disaster. If apple wanted to change the method for making bootable usb's, fine. BUT - please don't force everyone to render their macs into a very vulnerable state to do so. Hence createinstallmedia!

Last edited:

joshuelpatterso

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Completely understand why you asked that of people. I know all too well what it is like to be on the receiving end of frustrated users, who are take their problems out on you. And as much as I hate to admit it - have been there myself.

Kudos again for the info and the response :)

Yes. You can change the drive name and other things - but I would only admit this to people who know exactly what they are doing with terminal.

I have found that many who tried to alter things in my instructions who do not know how to use terminal properly have stuffed it up.

So if you don't really use terminal much, just stick strictly to my instructions, copy and paste the command, rather than type it, and everything should be OK.

Apple have a page on it, but it is really written for those who know how to use terminal: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5856 . They didn't make a user friendly guide unfortunately.

I think it is fair to say though that most people who use mavericks and want to make a bootable usb are not experts at terminal which is why I wrote my more user-friendly instructions.

(BTW, Apple published their less user-friendly instructions 17 days after I published mine)

createinstallmedia was first included in developer preview 4 because at the time the only bootable version available was developer preview 1 (there was no full installer for DP2 and DP3) and the very objectionable method for making a bootable usb for DP1 (in particular, the step involving making invisible files visible) was potentially a recipe for disaster. If apple wanted to change the method for making bootable usb's, fine. BUT - please don't force everyone to render their macs into a very vulnerable state to do so. Hence createinstallmedia!

arjanbouma

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
How to make a usb drive in snow leopard 10.6.8

Is there a solution for creating a boot USB drive from 10.6.8 yet?

Hey, I'm currently (finally!!!) installing Mavericks, clean, on my 10.6.8 MacBook Pro.

I used this site*:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/10/22/perform-clean-install-os-x-mavericks/

*Scroll down to view their alternate method for creating a bootable usb (initially their first).
It starts with: Our initial method (if the above method doesn’t work):

This finally worked for me!

At this moment Mavericks is installing!:)

Hope it will work in a few minutes!

Good luck to other 10.6.8 owners!

If it somehow ends up failing later, I will edit my post. No edit means it's working!

Cheers!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm guessing it's failing since both of your drives are named "Untitled". When this happens, both drives will appear to have the same name in the Finder but one will have been assigned a different name as seen in /Volumes and as the Applescript indicates. A Non-zero error in an Applescript just means that the script didn't exit as expected, but the cause could be any number of things.
Edit: The process is indeed failing because both of your drives are named Untitled.

This works..... now Diskmaker X has been updated... Although i can clarify if this was my original issue

However, in the new build found a few minor issues:-

- After changing Volume name of one of the drives (either your HD or Flash) to make sure it unique, and re-run the application it still picks the old name, even though its changed and displayed correctly in Finder and on Desktop.

eg "Untitled 1" still appears to select usb even though its now changed to "Untitled" and its unique.. You must unplug USB and re-attach to the app picks it up. No biggie though..

- The non- SSD boot after the first half of clean install on new HD has now propagated over to including HD's too. I get a "?" even though install resumes the second half if booted from media. it must be booted again from media..

Makes my thing BaseSystem.dmg contents is copied over during the second half of the install, not the first half, which it should be.

- After install successful, and you go to milt-boot screen,, USB drive is not shown, despite its still plugged in.

All in All, everything works sweet :)

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yes. It does work for 10.9.2.

I made a bootable usb for that.

Maybe your installer app isn't in your applications folder, or you specified the path incorrectly.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does it work for the 10.9.2 installer ? Terminal says "command not found"...

You've either mistyped something or your installer isn't located in /Applications. Exactly what did you type/paste into Terminal?

davekelly12

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
Mavericks installed on Macbook7,1 (Mid 2010)

@tywebb13
your method rocks! i tried several others but this just works..

ps: just run 'date' command in the terminal before starting the installation to check that system date/time is correct.

also, internet recovery is updated to mavericks... :D

cheers.....:apple:

This is better than osxdaily's method (which should only be used for DP1 anyway, not DP4 or the GM):

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM from the USB.

Note that this will also install a recovery partition (which osxdaily's method doesn't do).

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

This worked perfectly for making a bootable USB stick from Mountain Lion! Thanks for this, as it made my work a lot easier for my Mid-2011 MBA.

Mods, any way to sticky this thread?

BL.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Just to clarify things..

I am running 10.9.3 that was upgraded from a previous version of Mavericks right from Snow Leopard. I am not real happy with what I'm getting so I would like to do a clean install.
I believe I have the hang of creating a bootable USB from this thread. (thank you all!!!)
The only question I have now is before I go to boot from the USB drive and run the installer, do I format my harddrive first in order to prevent the install from just being another 'upgrade' and not a clean install, or will the that be done during the process? Will Disk Utility open during the process so I can do it, or what? I have a current backup on an external USB drive ready to go once I have the clean install done.

Geez....it just occured to me if I were to format my HD beforehand, I wouldn't have an Applications folder with the GM in it. Right? Maybe I just answered my own question, or is there still something I need to know so I don't mess this up?

Thanks.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
With your bootable usb of mavericks inserted, restart the computer and when booting up, hold down the option key.

Then you can select the bootable usb of mavericks and boot up from it. Four things should show: Restore From Time Machine Backup, Install OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.

Use disk utility to format the drive with "Erase" first before installing. It should be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then install mavericks onto the blank drive.

That will be a clean install.

It is good you have a backup. I would not recommend a clean install unless you have such a backup.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
With your bootable usb of mavericks inserted, restart the computer and when booting up, hold down the option key.

Then you can select the bootable usb of mavericks and boot up from it. Four things should show: Restore From Time Machine Backup, Install OS X, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.

Use disk utility to format the drive with "Erase" first before installing. It should be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then install mavericks onto the blank drive.

That will be a clean install.

It is good you have a backup. I would not recommend a clean install unless you have such a backup.

And this is the exact method I did, which resulted in a clean install of Mavericks on my mid-2011 MBA.

SuperDuper was used to clone Lion, which was originally running on that MBA. I went that route because if for some reason I had issues with Mavericks, I could boot to that clone, clone it back to the MBA's HD, reboot, and I'm back to where I was at with Lion.

BL.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Didn't realize this old thread was still strong..

Just got Macbook Pro Retina, and can confirm after using DiskMaker X on SSD, clean install beach-balls about 21 minutes left to complete (second half of instal process), however a forced shut down, and back on it resolves this...

I still am trying to figure out why this only applies to only on SSD. Can reproduce the issue every time.

Last edited:

justanothernoob

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
This does not work in the full release of Mavericks.

I get the following: -

Error erasing disk error number (-69888, 0)
A error occurred erasing the disk.

This is on an 8 Gig Flash, formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and i just copied the above command so to not make mistakes while typing in Terminal..

I had the same problem but it was actually because both the USB and my main hard drive were called "Untitled" so the USB was invisibly renamed "Untitled 1". Apparently it doesn't like trying to erase your main HD.

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
Hi,
I've been trying to create a bootable USB to install Mavericks on a MBP. I used the method outlined at the start of this thread and a version of Mavericks that I downloaded last January. When I tried to install it on the MBP the install process stopped with the message;

This copy of the Install OS X Mavericks application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.

The I downloaded a fresh copy from the App store yesterday and tried again using the applescript located at;
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/10/22/perform-clean-install-os-x-mavericks/ but I got the same result.

The only thing I can think is that there's something wrong with the USB formatting. Does anyone else have any other ideas?? If the formatting can cause this what are the exact formatting steps.

UPDATE: The solution to the issue can be found here;

http://blog.mconserv.net/2013/10/install-os-x-mavericks-application-cant.html

Thanks

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Odd issue

The following is when installing to SSD using both sudo command and DiskMaker X :- (Attached)

Beach-ball occurs all the time during second half of install, and stops. Can always re-produce.

However a power cycles fixes this, install resumes, and completes installation.

UPDATE : would you believe, the above was caused by a flaky USB thumb drive ?

Of all the times i've done this, this had to NOT happen on call with Apple.. :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.