Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YooA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2022
I own a MacBook Air with a ripped off screen and for last few days everything worked somewhat ok with mirroring an external display but today I tried to turn it on and I can’t see anything but a wallpaper. No dock, no menu bar, just a cursor being able to disappear to the left side. I had this issue before and somehow managed to solve it but can’t remember how.

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
What happens if you slowly close the lid?
EDIT: Oh, 'ripped off'. As in 'completely missing'?
EDIT2: I'd perhaps right-click (two-finger tap) on the empty desktop. Then select "Change desktop background..."
This will not only bring up a wallpaper selection window on the visible desktop, but it would also open the System Preferences window on the invisible desktop. Then with a little luck, one could blindly drag that window to the visible desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

YooA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2022
What happens if you slowly close the lid?
EDIT: Oh, 'ripped off'. As in 'completely missing'?
Yes, no lid, just two little cables dangling from the back.

When I right click on the empty desktop, nothing happens. I’ve been trying to move windows blindly with no results.

Last edited:

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Try Command + F1 or Fn + Command + F1
That's what I found on the webz.

Or pull out the display cable and reconnect. Then try all trickery, including right-clicking, again.

Edit: I'd also try forcing it to reboot (hold down the power key long enough).

Reactions: Slartibart

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
remote login isn’t an option, I suppose?

@Don MC suggestion does the trick. 🤜🤛💪

EDIT: Do note that some Macs and keyboard layouts may require the usage of ALT+Command+F1 to get the Mirror toggle to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.