Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cisconyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2018
I know this sounds weird, but I took my MCP to the apple store because the keyboard started malfunctioning. They told me it would be $475 because they need to replace the entire front (battery pack, keyboard, trackpad) but if my battery's condition required a change, then the price would drop by about half!

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I know this sounds weird, but I took my MCP to the apple store because the keyboard started malfunctioning. They told me it would be $475 because they need to replace the entire front (battery pack, keyboard, trackpad) but if my battery's condition required a change, then the price would drop by about half!

Any ideas?
Thank you in advance!

So you are wanting us to tell you how to cheat Apple?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Any ideas?
nope.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

cisconyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2018
So you are wanting us to tell you how to cheat Apple?
When you replace the keyboard, they also replace the battery and the trackpad (as stated above). If you want to be clever, then I guess what I want is if there is anyone out there who knows how to cut the profit margin for Apple so I can be less poor. The parts being replaced are the same, their profit margin is the only thing that changes.

Not knowing the answer and not commenting is also OK :)

Thanks.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Just go to a different store and ask them for a battery change. What model is this because the 2016 MBP are covered with a 4 year keyboard issue.

How old is this laptop? If its three years old you should have enough wear that you can get a battery change without having to kill it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.