Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Ok, this now sounds like a load of nonsense and someone who doesn’t want help just attention.

Wtf? Why would you say something like that?

A LONG time ago, I used to be pretty active around here. And then this place gradually became a hostile hellscape and I backed the hell off and mostly only start threads when ****’s broken and google isn’t helping. And then I get this crap just because I literally physically can’t follow a specific suggestion.

Does no one assume good faith any more?

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Wtf? Why would you say something like that?

A LONG time ago, I used to be pretty active around here. And then this place gradually became a hostile hellscape and I backed the hell off and mostly only start threads when ****’s broken and google isn’t helping. And then I get this crap just because I literally physically can’t follow a specific suggestion.

Does no one assume good faith any more?
In fairness Marshall73 did say:- “you know that YOU can call your mobile to test it”.
He was only saying to try calling your mobile but you dismissed this with an answer of you do not have another phone!
You don’t need another phone to test this theory. Someone else can ring your phone.

Reactions: Marshall73

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
In fairness Marshall73 did say:- “you know that YOU can call your mobile to test it”.
He was only saying to try calling your mobile but you dismissed this with an answer of you do not have another phone!
You don’t need another phone to test this theory. Someone else can ring your phone.

You're right, they can, and if someone else had been present I would have asked them to without anyone having to suggest it. But I wasn't about to wake up my friends or family at 10:30pm just to ask them to call me to test if my phone rings so I wouldn't have to wait overnight to verify. I'm sorry I didn't include that level of detail -- I'd thought it was covered by "if you have another phone". Was that really deserving of a personal attack?

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
You're right, they can, and if someone else had been present I would have asked them to without anyone having to suggest it. But I wasn't about to wake up my friends or family at 10:30pm just to ask them to call me to test if my phone rings so I wouldn't have to wait overnight to verify. I'm sorry I didn't include that level of detail -- I'd thought it was covered by "if you have another phone". Was that really deserving of a personal attack?
WOW…. I am beginning to think Marshall 73 is right. There is no need to be sarcastic with me. I spoke to you calmly only trying to help in explaining…. and what do you do…. come back with a load of negatives.
Feel free to carry on and attack me if you wish, I’ve tried to offer you help twice. I’m bowing out of this topic.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
@Beards, I'm sorry to have offended you. Not a word of what I said was intended sarcastically or as an attack, and certainly not on you. I'm genuinely baffled by the interpretation of my messages here, and also feel like I've been attacked out of nowhere.

De-escalating:

So far none of the changes have worked. It's clearly not a hardware problem with the ringer or vibrate function, since it rang in my pocket yesterday afternoon.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 16 can be buggy. This ringer issue shouldn't be possible so the software is messed up and needs some level of reset. Update to 16.6, if that doesn't work you can try resetting all settings, restoring with a backup or as a last resort setting up as new.

Reactions: splitpea

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
iOS 16 can be buggy. This ringer issue shouldn't be possible so the software is messed up and needs some level of reset. Update to 16.6, if that doesn't work you can try resetting all settings, restoring with a backup or as a last resort setting up as new.

Thanks! I'll probably nudge the update into happening tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.