Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
I was wondering whether anyone has a set of tweaks to the settings, in order to maximize speed/performance (like disabling animation and stuff...)

Appreciate any feedback. Tnx!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I was wondering whether anyone has a set of tweaks to the settings, in order to maximize speed/performance (like disabling animation and stuff...)

Appreciate any feedback. Tnx!

Why do you want to maximise performance, is the machine struggling with anything in particular?

Quite honestly it's 2017 and CPUs are massively overpowered for most peoples use. You could spend ages tweaking things but in reality it'll make no difference. The OS takes up so little power compared to what's available, it just isn't worth the hassle. If you need a faster computer you buy a faster computer, because making it run faster is not really feasible.

Having said that the primary factor is heat, if you were really trying to maximise performance you would want to liquid cool the computer using some Frankenstein DIY rig contraption. This would allow it to sustain turbo-boost mode for longer and so in theory provide better peak performance. That would provide a measurable difference given a 100% CPU task for a sustained duration. But tweaking with animations and stuff, you're talking about saving the most minute of a percentage.

And that's only really when in the desktop, if you have a fullscreen app open then the OS isn't really doing all its fancy stuff so not using any power.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Maximise performance for what? All that disabling animation will do for you is give you a perception that things are happening instantaneously...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Unlike Windows, OSX is a very efficient OS. You don't have to do anything but use your MacBook.

Windows is also a very efficient OS (and in some regards, more efficient than OS X). But Windows also has a lot of what some people call "choices" and what I call "unnecessary frustrations".

P.S. Today I spend my morning with installing Windows 10 on an external hard drive and I fondly remembered why I am not using it anymore ;)

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Windows is also a very efficient OS (and in some regards, more efficient than OS X). But Windows also has a lot of what some people call "choices" and what I call "unnecessary frustrations".

P.S. Today I spend my morning with installing Windows 10 on an external hard drive and I fondly remembered why I am not using it anymore ;)

Don't even get me started.
Windows 10 is a tad better than previous generations of Windows but, there is A LOT of room for improvement. Microsoft knows it and they will milk it's customers for decades to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.