Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love2dance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
How to Migrate MBP mid 2012 El Capitan to M1 MBP with itunes library? Please help!

Hey guys,
I would really appreciate your help on this, as its a multi stage process.

First of all the mid 2012 MBP has glitchy graphics. Not really from heat. As it's always has air underneath it. New glitches. Loke a white screen when shutting down last. And also taking a few attempts to switch on occasionally. With a forced power down.

So it's really time I transferred over to my new M1 Mbp I have. As i have professional commitments using a mac for DJ-ing.

So what's the first stage?
Upgrade to the highest OS, like high Sierra.
Using a legacy high sierra url to download the installer?

Then how do I migrate over?
Can I can use a time machine backup?
The m1 is on Monterey.

Do I use a high speed USB A to USB C cable for MBP to MBP, or best use a cable to my external HDD and time machine back up for the fastest migration?

My main issue is transferring 20k songs in iTunes to the M1. Then using the new music app for the first time.

Many thanks in advance and all help is gratefully received 🙏🏻

ozarkcanoer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I would use the old Mac to get a current backup to TimeMachine and if possible have a second disk with either another TimeMachine backup or a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner. You can then use either one with Migration Assistant on the new MacBook. I have never failed migrations by using Migration assistant with external drives or by direct Thunderbolt connection from old Mac to new Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.