Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you ever screwed your system up playing around with permissions?

• Total voters

steveyg777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
How to Migrate user settings, applications and all data to new clean user?

My mac has got really messy while i have been trying to change permissions and then rest them all back to default, not to mention that my mac takes ages to completely load up on my two main used accounts. What i wanted to do was create two clean, new users and move everything to them, HOPING that this would speed things back up again and make everything run smoothly again. Is this possible or is it a pipe dream? There's no way that i want to just stay from scratch and reinstall all my software, activate it and customise it again! (I think i would just brevet use my mac again instead)

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
This isn't going to really help you. If you think you are having permission issues, just moving things to a new user will not change or otherwise reset permissions, it actually stands to make things worse if anything. If things are really jacked up, sometimes a fresh install of everything is needed. Migration assistant can only really import stuff by creating a home folder when you let it do its thing. Sure you can copy things from a backup, but that doesn't work with programs.

Also what model mac do you have?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
There is no substitute for starting over from scratch. You'll get the best results completely re-installing and configuring everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.