Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have the newer second generation iPhone SE and hate that I have to do an extra 2 taps just to access the flash and that I have to do it every time whenever I need flash for a photo I’m taking outside

I take about a few dozen photos a day and would prefer to have flash on all the time. Or at the very least be able to quickly switch to flash on or flash offf.
B37D89FD-9B45-404A-A21D-C5FCC653A85F.png
D0919863-F50F-4A1F-AC95-781E8F7979CF.png

EDIT: it wasn’t like that on my iPhone 7 Plus camera. It was a joy.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I actually just traded in an SE 2nd Gen for an iPhone 12 Pro, but I honestly don't remember how it was on the SE. What exactly are you having to do? Here's what my camera app looks like on the 12 Pro after I click the little caret at the top center. By default, the flash is set to auto, as indicated by the white lightning bolt at the top left. Tapping that icon turns the flash off (line is drawn through it). To turn the flash to always on, tap the larger lightning bolt at the bottom left and then tap on "On." The smaller lightning bolt at the top left should now turn yellow to indicate the flash will always fire. The camera app should remember this setting next time you open it. For some dumb reason, tapping on the top left lightning bolt only cycles through "Auto" and "Off." It should be a 3-way toggle including "On" as well. Guess that would make too much sense, though :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 3.49.12 PM.png

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You described the problem perfectly and it’s the fact I have to open that little menu up and tap on the larger lightning bolt is an extra step like you described.

I took your advice and turned the flash on and took a photo with flash but when I returned into the camera app just 3 minutes later the was with the flash set to auto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.