Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
How do I move all my emails to a new Mac? I have 5 IMAP mail accounts, iCloud, Gmail, and Hotmail as well as over a hundred folders with saved emails "On My Mac". Probably over 100K emails. I don't think I can't use Migration Assistant since I've already set up the new Mac manually with everything except the Mail (a lot of work!).

Can I perhaps just copy the user/Library/Mail folder to the new Mac? And if so, should I set up the different mail accounts manually before attempting to move the data, or are the accounts and their settings also contained in the V10 folder?

The new Mac is an M2 MBP on Ventura 13.4.1 and the old one is an Intel Mac mini also on Ventura 13.4.1

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Why didn't you use Migration Assistant?

In Mail, FILE menu, IMPORT MAILBOXES - see if that works.

Reactions: Doc69

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
How do I move all my emails to a new Mac? I have 5 IMAP mail accounts, iCloud, Gmail, and Hotmail as well as over a hundred folders with saved emails "On My Mac". Probably over 100K emails. I don't think I can't use Migration Assistant since I've already set up the new Mac manually with everything except the Mail (a lot of work!).

Can I perhaps just copy the user/Library/Mail folder to the new Mac? And if so, should I set up the different mail accounts manually before attempting to move the data, or are the accounts and their settings also contained in the V10 folder?

The new Mac is an M2 MBP on Ventura 13.4.1 and the old one is an Intel Mac mini also on Ventura 13.4.1
The IMAP should all just download when you sign in to your accounts on the new mac. If you have used Migration Assistant as I do, it verifies it all correctly. If you are setting up from scratch it will just download the emails from the servers.

Moving on-my-mac mail from old computer to new is more problematical. When I used MA to do this last year it did not migrate my on-my-mac email and I had to reimport it from archives. Since then I keep everything on IMAP/iCloud.

For on-my-mac you could see if MA moves it for you, but if not I think the best way is to export to archive on your old mac and then import the archives on new mac.

Alternatively you could do as I did and move all your on-my-mac mail back to IMAP on old mac and let it download on new mac.

Last edited:

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Why didn't you use Migration Assistant?

In Mail, FILE menu, IMPORT MAILBOXES - see if that works.
I wanted to start over clean and install everything from scratch in order to make sure no corrupted files or other bad things were coming over to the new Mac. I haven't done this since probably Leopard so I felt it was time. :)

Importing Mailboxes works, but I think you have to export and import them one by one. And since I have over 100, I'm looking for a way to move them all in one go.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
The IMAP should all just download when you sign in to your accounts on the new mac. If you have used Migration Assistant as I do, it verifies it all correctly. If you are setting up from scratch it will just download the emails from the servers.

Moving on-my-mac mail from old computer to new is more problematical. When I used MA to do this last year it did not migrate my on-my-mac email and I had to reimport it from archives. Since then I keep everything on IMAP/iCloud.

For on-my-mac you could see if MA moves it for you, but if not I think the best way is to export to archive on your old mac and then import the archives on new mac.

Alternatively you could do as I did and move all your on-my-mac mail back to IMAP on old mac and let it download on new mac.
Very weird that MA did not migrate the On My Mac mailboxes! If I can't find a way to do it all in one go, like moving the V10 Mail folder, then I will have to export/import the On My mac folders manually. But hopefully, someone has experience with what happens if you move the V10 folder and Preference files.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I’ve used migration assistant and/or restore from TM backup probably 10 times in as many years and never had a problem, including between OS versions and architectures. Why make life more difficult than it has to be?
If I could use the MA for only the mail.app I would definitely do it. But I don't think you can. I think you have to restore everything. But maybe I'm wrong?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I’ve used migration assistant and/or restore from TM backup probably 10 times in as many years and never had a problem, including between OS versions and architectures. Why make life more difficult than it has to be?
Did that include on-my-mac mail? I have only tried MA once while I had on-my-mac and as I said it wasn’t migrated. I submitted a report to Apple. I have not heard of it happening to others so I would advise OP to try MA.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
If I could use the MA for only the mail.app I would definitely do it. But I don't think you can. I think you have to restore everything. But maybe I'm wrong?
MA does give you some options, but dont think you can use it just for Mail. Why not use it for everything? Which is what I always do.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I wanted to start over clean and install everything from scratch in order to make sure no corrupted files or other bad things were coming over to the new Mac. I haven't done this since probably Leopard so I felt it was time. :)

Importing Mailboxes works, but I think you have to export and import them one by one. And since I have over 100, I'm looking for a way to move them all in one go.
Understand though I think the risks of “cruft” are overstated. I think your best option would be to move all your on-my-mac mail to IMAP and let it all download on new mac when you sign in.

You could always move it back to on-my-mac on new Mac later.

I have messed around with with transferring the V folder manually and it used to work years ago, but last time I tried it it had problems. You may find someone who knows exactly what to do. Seem to recall deleting the envelope index came into it.

Last edited:

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014

What email client are you using?

Depending on that you may be able to slowly “drag and drop” mail to a single imap or exchange account and let it sync and once done it’s all in the cloud.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
What email client are you using?

Depending on that you may be able to slowly “drag and drop” mail to a single imap or exchange account and let it sync and once done it’s all in the cloud.
I'm using Apple Mail only, but I have 8 different IMAP accounts enabled (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook). I tested what you suggested and dragged an 'On My Mac' mailbox to a new folder on iCloud, and it copied over fine (not moved). I could even drag more than one mailbox at a time. So even though I have over 100 folders, this is probably doable. :)

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Understand though I think the risks of “cruft” are overstated. I think your best option would be to move all your on-my-mac mail to IMAP and let it all download on new mac when you sign in.
Yes, moving all the mailboxes by adding them to iCloud seems like my best bet right now. One of the reasons I wanted to start over fresh without migrating, is that the Mail.app on my old Mac creates a lot of folders named 'Recovered Messages (iCloud), Recovered Messages Gmail), Recovered Messages (On My Mac), etc. with thousands of messages. I never could figure out why this is happening and if some or all of these messages are copies or originals.

1800AirTAG

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
I'm using Apple Mail only, but I have 8 different IMAP accounts enabled (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook). I tested what you suggested and dragged an 'On My Mac' mailbox to a new folder on iCloud, and it copied over fine (not moved). I could even drag more than one mailbox at a time. So even though I have over 100 folders, this is probably doable. :)
Oh awesome! I’ll honestly take a copy over moving it completely over any day just to have a backup.

But, this is the exact way I used to help customers “migrate” their mail into a new mailbox, etc back when I was a tech.

Glad to hear it’s still a potential solution :)

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
My last question now is how do I move all my Mail Rules, of which I have hundreds. If anyone knows this, please let me know! :)

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. I copied these 3 files from User/Library/V10/MailData on my old Mac and pasted them in the same folder on the new one.

RulesActiveState.plist
SyncedRules.plist
UnsyncedRules.plist

Last edited:
Reactions: roronl

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’ve done this like the comment above and I just moved them back onto the cloud to let them download again on the new mac/fresh install.

I think you can maybe drag emails into finder to back up.. I’m not on my comp to try but in theory that would work.

lastly! Have an email cull if you can :)

Reactions: George Dawes

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I thought rules were backed up to iCloud. The reason I say this is because I just setup a new machine running Ventura, and when I opened Apple Mail, all my rules were there. I was very surprised, and happy.

What’s even more surprising is that the last time I had a Mac sync to iCloud was approximately in 2016. It was/is a 2008 MacBook Pro. I still have it, but haven’t turned it on since sometime in 2016 (approximately).

So, is it possible that rules are/were backed up to iCloud? In my case, I don’t see how else they got onto my new Mac running Ventura⁉️

Edit: The 2008 was running OS X El Capitan.

cleanton

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012

Export and import...

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
As long as macOS is the same or newer, I have been able to move mail by just copying the ~/Library/Mail folder and the Mail Settings files in Preferences.
All the other methods mentioned also work.
I have 25 years of mail, and downloading the messages from IMAP accounts again takes two days.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014

I tried it once copying the V10 Folder to a new Mac and it worked the only thing I did differently is I opened mail on the new mac and closed it then I started copying/overwriting existing data. Also Gmail will ask for re-authentication if the OAuth login method doesn't work try creating App Password in Google Account and use the old imap/smtp method.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How I would do this (and yes, it's gong to take a lot of work and time).

I'd get an external drive capable of holding ALL the old mail folders.

I'd locate the old mail on the old Mac.
Should be in:
home/library/Mail

I'd copy all the "Mail" folders to the external drive.

Then, I'd take the external drive and connect it to the NEW Mac.

Next, I'd take steps to overcome permissions problems:
- let external drive icon mount on desktop
- click on icon ONE TIME to select it
- bring up the get info box (command-i)
- at the bottom of get info, enter password (for NEW Mac)
- put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume" (sharing and permissions)
- close get info.

Now, I'd open Mail on the NEW Mac.

I'd go to Mail --> File --> Import Mailboxes...

... and work from there, importing a little at a time. KEEP NOTES.

You could try "all at once", but it may all go to one location and then you'll have to do some moving afterwards (you may have to do that anyway).

Yes, it's going to be A LOT of work.
If you had just used setup assistant at the very beginning, you could have avoided this.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I thought rules were backed up to iCloud. The reason I say this is because I just setup a new machine running Ventura, and when I opened Apple Mail, all my rules were there. I was very surprised, and happy.

What’s even more surprising is that the last time I had a Mac sync to iCloud was approximately in 2016. It was/is a 2008 MacBook Pro. I still have it, but haven’t turned it on since sometime in 2016 (approximately).

So, is it possible that rules are/were backed up to iCloud? In my case, I don’t see how else they got onto my new Mac running Ventura⁉️

Edit: The 2008 was running OS X El Capitan.
I am wondering if anyone had the same experience as I did regarding rules being saved to iCloud?

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I am wondering if anyone had the same experience as I did regarding rules being saved to iCloud?
Did you perhaps restore from a Time Machine backup? If so, that could be the reason. I set up a new Mac with Ventura, and logged in to iCloud, but none of my mail rules came over. I have searched in iCloud Settings but found no specific setting for this.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Did you perhaps restore from a Time Machine backup? If so, that could be the reason. I set up a new Mac with Ventura, and logged in to iCloud, but none of my mail rules came over. I have searched in iCloud Settings but found no specific setting for this.
I did a clean setup. No backups were used to setup the new Mac. The only thing that linked me to the old mail program was to sign into iCloud, during setup, using the same Apple ID.

I have an array of different email accounts, just as you do, but it just hit me that maybe the rules were synced because I had have an old ".me" mail account. Maybe this account synced all my rules? The .me account was automatically setup when I signed into iCloud during setup of the new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.