Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I just started writing a new document in Pages. I entered the title and then created a diagram below the title using some shapes available in the Pages. Now I need to write a paragraph starting from below the diagram I created. I cannot move the cursor below the diagram. When I press the return key, the cursor moves while shifting the diagram down. Clicking or double clicking on the area below the diagram does't do anything. I need help!

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I just started writing a new document in Pages. I entered the title and then created a diagram below the title using some shapes available in the Pages. Now I need to write a paragraph starting from below the diagram I created. I cannot move the cursor below the diagram. When I press the return key, the cursor moves while shifting the diagram down. Clicking or double clicking on the area below the diagram does't do anything. I need help!

Have you tried creating a new text block below the diagram?

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
The simple solution to this problem is to use Microsoft Word! Pages, especially the latest version, sucks everything suckable. Spend some money and get a real word processor.

ronsmacx

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017

The solution is simple. Apple Page being relatively new to other word processors, some people might say that Apple Page sucks – because they are not familiar with this new word processor. How can one argue with another non-developer Windows guy when they say MacOS X is not user-friendly?

SOLUTION
Image/Figure has some default settings regarding Text Wrapping around them, in Arrange tab.
By default, it's set to "Automatic".

Since, you want your image to be fixed after your title –
1. Select your image
2. In the Arrange tab, change the Text Wrap property to 'Above and Below'
3. In addition, you want the cursor to jump below the image. Set the Object Placement property to 'Stay on Page'.

Hope this helps.

Mark Nicholls

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
The simple solution to this problem is to use Microsoft Word! Pages, especially the latest version, sucks everything suckable. Spend some money and get a real word processor.
You've got to be kidding me... someone comes to this message board, takes the time and effort to publish a real issue this person is having, hoping to find a solution... And your response it "use another word processor"?!?!?

In what world of the galactically stupid would anybody see your reply, take their MacBook, toss it out the window, march down to the local computer shop, buy a windows computer so he can install Microsoft Word, re-start his entire project over from scratch, his entire world for that matter that is located on his MacBook.... and say

"hey! LambertJohns advice was really helpful!!"

I'm sorry, but this boggles the mind, as to why you would even take the time, effort, mental capacity or even waste precious kilobytes of internet data to post a reply of "use another word processor"?

I'm sorry, but as a frequent user of forums to try and solve problems, I see this all the time. What exactly are you contributing to the conversation or to the problem set out by the original poster? I can give you an answer...

NOTHING!!!!!!!

If you want to post an intelligent reply and specifically address the posters question, then great... otherwise don't post

AT ALL!!

The reason this infuriates me... is that I was having the exact same problem, and I entered my problem in the form of a question in google search, and lo and behold I landed here, on a post with someone having the same problem. And the second reply to fix my problem is... throw my computer away, go buy a windows device and install Microsoft Word.

wow....
am I the only one that wants to bang my head against a wall?

MacBookDuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2021
The solution is simple. Apple Page being relatively new to other word processors, some people might say that Apple Page sucks – because they are not familiar with this new word processor. How can one argue with another non-developer Windows guy when they say MacOS X is not user-friendly?

SOLUTION
Image/Figure has some default settings regarding Text Wrapping around them, in Arrange tab.
By default, it's set to "Automatic".

Since, you want your image to be fixed after your title –
1. Select your image
2. In the Arrange tab, change the Text Wrap property to 'Above and Below'
3. In addition, you want the cursor to jump below the image. Set the Object Placement property to 'Stay on Page'.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much; I know that this post is "old," but it is still worthwhile. I've been struggling with this for so long and now I have a solution! THANKYOU!

Reactions: Jbald1

Jbald1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Yes, thank you. It is still occurs. Is there a workaround for iOS pages

jeqld

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2022
Alternative method.
This method helps if you do want the automatic/default arrangement.

1. Enter a couple times to create empty lines.
2. Select the image and drag it upwards over the empty lines.
3. release. You should now by able ti place the cursor in empty lines below the picture.

I suspect the problem has to do with the "anchor" that is placed for the image in the text being at the end of the file and Pages not allowing you move there. Moving it create regular text "space" you can move to.

To avoid these kind of issues in Pages and even MS Word I always work with a few clear unformatted empty lines ahead of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.