Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SERusk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Bay Area
Hi all

Has anyone figured out how to name group chats in this new iOS? The old way doesn't work anymore. It's really aggravating. And I can't find a how to article about this. Please help!!

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Go the message and press near the top to expand the section below the names/icons for the group members so it shows the audio/FaceTime/info buttons. Press info to get to the Details screen and the group name is right at the top. If you haven't already entered a group name you'll see "Enter a Group Name" and you just need to touch there to name it.

I'm on iOS 12.4.1

SERusk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Bay Area
So I’ve since been told that if one person in the group is some wacko who has something other than an iPhone, you can’t name it. Because it definitely isn’t letting me for this one I made today after updating. But maybe this was a thing before then too and just the vast majority of people have iPhones so I never noticed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It’s very considerate.

Go the message and press near the top to expand the section below the names/icons for the group members so it shows the audio/FaceTime/info buttons. Press info to get to the Details screen and the group name is right at the top. If you haven't already entered a group name you'll see "Enter a Group Name" and you just need to touch there to name it.

I'm on iOS 12.4.1

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
So I’ve since been told that if one person in the group is some wacko who has something other than an iPhone, you can’t name it. Because it definitely isn’t letting me for this one I made today after updating. But maybe this was a thing before then too and just the vast majority of people have iPhones so I never noticed.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It’s very considerate.
You also can't leave a group chat unless everybody is using iMessage. That's because if a single person isn't on iMessage, then it works as a group SMS (usually sent of MMS), so all the nice features of iMessage are gone.

Not sure why that would affect naming a group, though, because you'd think the group could still be identified based on the participants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.