Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I have an iPhone 7 that finally went belly up and it can’t connect to the internet via Wi-Fi or cellular or to a personal hotspot.
This phone had connectivity problems in the past before it died (curse of the iPhone 7) and the battery is shot (phone completely discharges to zero when left off for two weeks). So its worthless.
GPS no longer works either.

I have an iPhone 8 to replace it, but I want to nuke reset this phone to remove it from the Find My iPhone network- but you can’t disable Find My iPhone if the phone can’t connect to the internet.

How do I get this POS iPhone completely out of my life forever?

Thanks for any tips!

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Here’s a solution , just take precautions regarding toxic fumes and battery. Perhaps open and remove battery first.

Attachments

• 3326881E-ECCD-411B-83D4-645C3FC551F4.jpeg
    3326881E-ECCD-411B-83D4-645C3FC551F4.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 56

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
It’s going to trash or recycling.
If an iPhone can’t connect to the internet then it can’t be remotely erased via Find My.
I just want to completely erase it (haven’t tried to do that yet) and disable it from iCloud and Find My network - but not sure how to do that if it can’t connect to the internet.
Thanks

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It’s going to trash or recycling.
If an iPhone can’t connect to the internet then it can’t be remotely erased via Find My.
I just want to completely erase it (haven’t tried to do that yet) and disable it from iCloud and Find My network - but not sure how to do that if it can’t connect to the internet.
Thanks
Can Apple remove find my considering you're the owner (unless you can't provide proof of purchase)? You can recycle it at an Apple store, maybe they can remove find my and erase the device when you turn it in.. With your presence to verify they erase it of course

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Ok - I removed it from my list of devices on iCloud.com with my Mac then proceeded to try to Erase All Content and Settings on the iPhone 7.

Guess what? You can’t reset an iPhone via Erase All Content and Settings if it can’t connect to the internet. I just tried. It asked me to sign in with my Apple ID but of course it can’t verify because it can’t connect to the internet.

So I guess this iPhone will have to be ground up into tiny pieces so it’s impossible to access it.

This seems like a lame way to do this. There’s no way I could sell this phone for parts. It has a new screen (mistake)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
Well I finally got a cellular connection (after 30 minutes). It wasn’t the cell tower at fault since my other iPhone always had a cellular connection- it was this damn iPhone 7 taking its last gasp.

I quickly disabled Find My (after entering A-ID verification, then signed out of iCloud (after entering A-ID verification) then Reset all Content and Settings (after entering A-ID verification) and the iPhone finally got wiped to the factory setup screen.

That was close. I then turned it off, removed the SIM card and tossed that diseased thing in a drawer. Got lucky.
Man - iCloud sure makes things tough when you just want to leave and have a sick device.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Connecting to a Mac might have worked but I didn’t try it because I got a cell connection for a bit.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI and I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.