Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
It's not worth it for me to rent Adobe Suite so I tried to manage somehow. I bought Pixelmator Pro, 50 mb, native app that serves me good, it supports .psd file format. Only bad thing is that It does not support .ai file format. I know that I can open .ai files with preview by converting them to PDF but then I lose all layers.

How to open .ai files while preserving layers without Adobe software? What app can help with that?

I’m thinking about buying an Affinity designer… Anyone have experience with it?

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
That have never occurred to me, LOL. I'm used to buy software once I decide to buy. I have never tried trial software before...

After installing a trial I have opened a .ai file that I had problems before and it works great, all layers were there!

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Just a quick word of warning: only Illustrator files that contain a PDF stream will open in Affinity Designer, PhotoLine, and other AI file compatible design apps.

Original AI files without a PDF stream will not.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
That have never occurred to me, LOL. I'm used to buy software once I decide to buy. I have never tried trial software before...

After installing a trial I have opened a .ai file that I had problems before and it works great, all layers were there!
Haha, that happens to me too sometimes. Glad it worked out for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.