Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
I have a MBP 14" with Ventura. I want to open older Photos Library on multiple external SSDs backups. Is there an easy way to do this? I just want to view the photos and select some to import to my new Photos Library.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I think the easiest way is avoiding Apple and using one of the many browsers that can read a Photos library. I use PhotoScape. Rather pedestrian but free and gets the job done.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Thanks, I look at both.
But I have to ask... why doesn't APPLE make it easy/simple to plug in an external drive and be able to read ANY Photos Library???

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Thanks, I look at both.
But I have to ask... why doesn't APPLE make it easy/simple to plug in an external drive and be able to read ANY Photos Library???
Because Apple's focus is to lock people in. They do a superb job at it. I’ve been in a slow but deliberate move out of the eco-system. Work to Office completed. Apple Music to Spotify completed. Apple's broken Mail app is a bust so far as I'm not going subscription for a Mail app and the free one's are crapp. The Apple TV was replaced with a Roku costing a fraction of the price and is far more stable, no matter how pedestrian it looks. The Roku is also free from Apple's never ending quarrels with the Xfinity's of the world and gets functioning apps while Apple gets nothing (by choice) or crippled apps. Currently finding Adobe's Photography package has me covered for photography on MacOS, iOS and sharing far better than Apple. $10 a month I gladly pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.