Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclad

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
UK
I have looked in Settings and there is nothing under “Home screen & multitasking”.

Edit: I find the slide over a real annoyance!

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
There is no way to turn it or the default multitasking completely off, but depending - on your iPad model - switching to Stage Manager might be an option?
Slide Over on the other hand requires quite some user interaction to evoke it… as a feature it’s easy enough not to use… even accidently, isn’t it?

maclad

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
UK
Slide Over on the other hand requires quite some user interaction to evoke it… as a feature it’s easy enough not to use… even accidently, isn’t it?

No it’s very easy, when deleting individual cookies you have to click the right hand side of the screen, and so the slide over keeps popping out!

Reactions: Tagbert

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Slide over appears to completely random in its operation. When it happens, I go back and try to replicate its behavior but then it doesn’t happen. Apple should have an option to disable this feature since its operation is not intuitive.

Reactions: Tagbert

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Slide over appears to completely random in its operation. When it happens, I go back and try to replicate its behavior but then it doesn’t happen. Apple should have an option to disable this feature since its operation is not intuitive.
Just press (about 0.5s, not long enough to open the context menu) on an app in Dock, and drag to one of the sides.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
No it’s very easy, when deleting individual cookies you have to click the right hand side of the screen, and so the slide over keeps popping out!
How? I just tried to “induce” it in the Safari settings for portrait and landscape orientation for some time - no way I can get Safari or another app into Slide Over by doing anything to the cookie list view (besides revealing the delete option)… can you kindly provide a screen recording? What iPad model do you use?

maclad

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
UK
How? I just tried to “induce” it in the Safari settings for portrait and landscape orientation for some time - no way I can get Safari or another app into Slide Over by doing anything to the cookie list view (besides revealing the delete option)… can you kindly provide a screen recording? What iPad model do you use?
Deleted.

Last edited:

maclad

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
UK
I G00GLED the question and partially solved the problem, I initiated the slide over, put my finger on the top of the slide over and dragged it to the left of the screen, where it stayed and allowed me to delete the cookies without initiating the slide over, additionally I have been in and out of settings a couple of times and, so far, the slide over has stayed on the left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.