Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Hi,

Quite a stupid question as I'm a noob.

When transferring data fr a SSD to a computer or vice versa, I'm right to say its not necessary to put the SSD flat on the table unlike HDD disk where there is a spinning platter. For SSD you can just any how hang it?

Reactions: Andrey84

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a somewhat slippery desktop, so I like to place an SSD, (or anything that I might have attached to some Mac that I am working on) on an anti-skid pad, so it doesn't drift around while I am using it. Not for any technical issue, but SSDs (particularly the various NVME enclosures that I have) don't weigh much, and I simply want them to stay where I put them.
But, no, an SSD does not care about physical position, upside-down has no meaning with something with no moving parts.
I wouldn't place an HDD upside down, but modern hard drives don't care much either - you don't have to run them precisely flat.
But, I wouldn't turn an HDD over while it is running - the movement i think would cause a bit of coriolis effect, which could affect the disk in some way.

Last edited:

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
The only thing to keep an eye on is heat. Fast SSDs can produce a lot of it without being engineered well enough to always dissipate enough. You want to make sure that the part acting as heat sink is well ventilated.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
The only thing to keep an eye on is heat. Fast SSDs can produce a lot of it without being engineered well enough to always dissipate enough. You want to make sure that the part acting as heat sink is well ventilated.
Tks lots

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I strap mines on a big heatsink. And it gets warm too. Heat accelerates wear of SSD cells quite a lot.
1709133751225.png

Reactions: Basic75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.