Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booyah10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
I recently regained my interest in old C&C games. Luckily, cncnet has a way of playing the Tiberian Dawn/TibSun/Red Alert 1 on my Mac which worked perfectly fine. Been playing all day last week. Now I want to play C&C 3 Tiberian Wars to continue the story. I own the game in Steam and I found a few ways about it but encountered a few problems.

Option 1: Crossover
I followed this youtube guide that let me install windows steam on my Mac and it all worked fine until I opened the game. Initially the game actually loaded and asked me to input my commander name but it wouldn't type anything. I quit the game and tried again but this time it never loaded the game ever again. It just shows the pop-up window of C&C3 then closes after a few seconds. I even installed the DirectX and fonts, as said in the guide but perhaps I'm still missing some apps to run the games.

Option 2: PortingKit
- I not sure if I'm doing it right or the 10.15 requirement is hindering me (which is kinda contradictory because I read that it doesn't support 10.15). It's just not working at all.

Anyone know how to fix or a way to make it work? I feel like I'm so close since I got the game to work. I just need little tweaks for those more experienced. Bootcamp is not an option. I would love it if someone knows what to do. I've been researching for days.

I'm using a 2015 MBP.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Can't you just install Windows via Boot Camp?

Also great choice. Command & Conquer is my all time favorite series (It all goes downhill from here man. Thanks a lot EA...)

booyah10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Can't you just install Windows via Boot Camp?

Also great choice. Command & Conquer is my all time favorite series (It all goes downhill from here man. Thanks a lot EA...)
My MBP only has 128GB worth of storage and bootcamp is big so it was never an option. Plus these days, it only stays at 20-40GB free storage with all the files I have. With system eating up 40GB

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
My MBP only has 128GB worth of storage and bootcamp is big so it was never an option. Plus these days, it only stays at 20-40GB free storage with all the files I have. With system eating up 40GB

What about Paralells? Can you run a virtual machine?

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
The C&C games work fine via Parallels, at least on my M1 Max, which has to go through the extra step of using Windows' x86 to ARM emulation. Parallels has a trial so you could validate the performance before spending any money, and 128GB is more than enough for a small Win10/11 installation plus a few RTS games (you'd likely need closer to 40GB).

Bootcamp would definitely be faster since you don't have to rely on virtualization, but Parallels is your best bet if you think Bootcamp is space prohibitive.

booyah10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
So how is it?
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 11.52.26.png
I initially tried opening the game as is but I got this error. I am now trying to install windows steam and do it the long way. (ex. download the game again but in parallels)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.