Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
how can i play Diablo 2 and LOD on macbook air?

i can read about other methods from many places but my special question i want an answer that is it even possible since i don't have a cd station in this laptop.. so is it possible to play LOD or Diablo 2 without having to have the cd disk inside the computer?

thanks

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes, just download it from battle.net from your account. Note, however, that it's no longer compatible with OS X. You will have to download the PC version and use WINE.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
yep, download the PC version and use wineskin. (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads)

After that you click the + in the window and download the new wineskin engine. Then after that's done you select that engine and click new blank wrapper. Then you just name the wrapper Diablo 2 or whatever you want, and launch that wrapper. Then the rest is pretty self explanatory. You choose install from setup executable or something like that and just follow the instructions!

There's a pretty in depth guide here for starcraft, but a lot of the same applies to Diablo 2: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18732263

trewqy

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
Hello,

I have a problem similar to that of the OP. I have installed and have been playing Diablo II Non-Expansion on my Mac using Wineskin with little to no problems but have encountered a snag when trying to install the Lord of Destruction expansion using a Wineskin. The LoD installer does not recognize that the original is installed because it has been Wineskinned and thus will not allow the installation to commence. My searches to solutions usually come to pages that have to do with editing scripts or altering registries and this is unfortunately a bit beyond my ability (especially because I am on a Mac). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Billytom

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2016
Hello,

I have a problem similar to that of the OP. I have installed and have been playing Diablo II Non-Expansion on my Mac using Wineskin with little to no problems but have encountered a snag when trying to install the Lord of Destruction expansion using a Wineskin. The LoD installer does not recognize that the original is installed because it has been Wineskinned and thus will not allow the installation to commence. My searches to solutions usually come to pages that have to do with editing scripts or altering registries and this is unfortunately a bit beyond my ability (especially because I am on a Mac). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I found a solution without having to install another operating system. Download the program "WineBottler" (Better than wineskin) to run .exe in mac system...this way you can run the windows installer diablo.

It's very Easy to use, after install it, only you need is run the .exe aplication game and this one question you if you want to run with "wine". click yes, and Done !

Here the link to download and link video tutorial:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/downloads

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
These are really unbelievable news; a new patch for Diablo 2. And even more, besides resolving the issues for running the game on modern operating systems, Blizzard makes a hint that we might see even more in the future. Quoting from their patch release post:

This journey starts by making Diablo II run on modern platforms, but it does not end there.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
These are really unbelievable news; a new patch for Diablo 2. And even more, besides resolving the issues for running the game on modern operating systems, Blizzard makes a hint that we might see even more in the future. Quoting from their patch release post:

Yup, several months back they announced they were hiring Mac (and Windows) programmers for updating their classics.The WC3 patch is coming on Tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.