Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoesofia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Hi I stored the files on my computer from a DVD I wanted to keep digitally, but it has no VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS folder - It just has the individual .BUP .IFO and .VOB files.

I thought I had managed to play all the DVD videos in sequence with VLC previously but I don't seem to be able to do so now.

How can I play the DVD videos in sequence without the VIDEO_TS folder?

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 12.21.04.png

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You could try to put all those files in a folder, doesn't matter if the name includes TS, but I don't see a "xxxx.layout" file there... if that makes a difference. Did you try the built in MacOS DVD player?

zoesofia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
You could try to put all those files in a folder, doesn't matter if the name includes TS, but I don't see a "xxxx.layout" file there... if that makes a difference. Did you try the built in MacOS DVD player?

Hi I discovered that I can play all the VOB files except all of the first VOB files - VTS_01_1.VOB - in each DVD folder saved digitally (don't have original DVD anymore) - strange all these first files seem to be corrupt.. I can play the other VOBs fine.

Is there any software (preferably free) that will fix a corrupt .VOB file?

Thanks

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Were they in a VIDEO_TS folder originally? Assuming they were all originally contained in the same original TS folder I would say step one is to get them back. Create a new folder. Name it VIDEO_TS and put those files in it. Now you should be able to use the File -> Open commands in either VLC or Mac DVD Player to open the folder. It should behave like the original dvd.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Those are the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. Try making a folder titled VIDEO_TS and put all those files inside it and play that. Don't worry about the AUDIO_TS. If you meant you wanted to keep a smaller digital version of the DVD, I can heartily recommend Mac DVDRipper Pro. I've been using it for years. It's not free, but does have a 5 insastnce free trial version. Check it out.

VIDEO_S contents.png

Last edited:

zoesofia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Were they in a VIDEO_TS folder originally? Assuming they were all originally contained in the same original TS folder I would say step one is to get them back. Create a new folder. Name it VIDEO_TS and put those files in it. Now you should be able to use the File -> Open commands in either VLC or Mac DVD Player to open the folder. It should behave like the original dvd.

Hi thanks for your reply..

I tried renaming the folder VIDEO_TS but still no luck in either VLC or DVD Player or others I tried.

Strange but I found that all of the first VOB files - VTS_01_1.VOB - in each DVD folder saved digitally (don't have original DVD anymore) seem to be corrupt..

The VTS_01_0.VOB header file is 132Mb and the VTS_01_1.VOB file is 1.4Mb.

I can play VTS_01_0.VOB and from VTS_01_2.VOB onwards.

VTS_01_1.VOB is definitely corrupt as it should be a much larger file as I've seen this video before and it's missing a good chunk of video that comes before VTS_01_2.VOB.

I also tried to convert the .vob file in iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe - but it couldn't load VTS_01_1.VOB to convert it either.

Thanks
[doublepost=1556813939][/doublepost]
Those are the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. Try making a folder titled VIDEO_TS and put all those files inside it and play that. Don't worry about the AUDIO_TS. If you meant you wanted to keep a smaller digital version of the DVD, I can heartily recommend Mac DVDRipper Pro. I've been using it for years. It's not free, but does have a 5 insastnce free trial version. Check it out.

View attachment 834884

Hi thanks for your reply..

I tried renaming the folder VIDEO_TS but still no luck in either VLC or DVD Player or others I tried.

Strange but I found that all of the first VOB files - VTS_01_1.VOB - in each DVD folder saved digitally (don't have original DVD anymore) seem to be corrupt..

The VTS_01_0.VOB header file is 132Mb and the VTS_01_1.VOB file is 1.4Mb.

I can play VTS_01_0.VOB and from VTS_01_2.VOB onwards.

VTS_01_1.VOB is definitely corrupt as it should be a much larger file as I've seen this video before and it's missing a good chunk of video that comes before VTS_01_2.VOB.

I also tried to convert the .vob file in iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe - but it couldn't load VTS_01_1.VOB to convert it either.

Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
If it was freshly corrupted, disk recovery software may help. Otherwise it is probably blown away There are recovery outfits that sometimes can work magic. You will probably have to look for backups and catch an uncorrupted version. What are you using to backup the folder, Time Machine? Are there other copies around?

zoesofia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
If it was freshly corrupted, disk recovery software may help. Otherwise it is probably blown away There are recovery outfits that sometimes can work magic. You will probably have to look for backups and catch an uncorrupted version. What are you using to backup the folder, Time Machine? Are there other copies around?

Hi thanks for your reply. I will take a look at another hard disc where I have the videos backed up offsite - when I get round there - but I think it will probably be the same as I haven't checked these files in years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.