Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2005
London
I'm still very much learning how to make a website so I apologise with this stupid question. I've had my website/porfolio up and running for a while and am now wanting to put some of my short films on there. I have the webspace so why not?! My problem is I don't know how.

I want to click a button on the website and have a new window pop out. On the left would be the list of available clips (as flash buttons), on the right would be "theatre" where the videos play. My problem is... how do I do it? What is this called? I've tried googling it up but seeing as I don't know what it's called, I'm rather confused. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the basic question, I've been using Flash for a while and like it. It's when moving outside of Flash that I get very lost.

Example Here's a quick mock-up of what I'm trying to do. The white border just shows what the size of the proposed pop-up window will be.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2005
London
Change of plan, to make it easier, I just want the movie into appear in the table on the right. What's code do I need to point it there?

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2005
London
Okay, I'm in over my head. Look like I need to first learn about frames. Mods, you can lock or delete this thread. Sorry about that. I thought I was close to finishing. Little did I know!!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Can I just suggest you dont do your site in frames? They are fairly outdated now and can ruin the chances of spiders from google and other search engines finding out what is on your site for indexing.

At least thats what I've been told, but from experience, browsers handle frames differently so its another thing that can make your site look wierd in another browser.

As you are doing your site in Flash, why not have your films load within that flash player? Look up using External SWFs with your movie (so it doesnt bump up the file size, and allows the movies to be preloaded as an when they are needed). This will help if you want the videos to stream, and Flash compressed videos can be incredibly small. This will also help your content not get stolen.. but if your not worried about that then you can certainly go down the Quicktime route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.