Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedro nicoli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Brazil
I have a bunch of electric guitars and a Boss GT8 Effect Processor...
how do i connect it to my upcoming macbook?
just plug the output of the GT8 into the MB input? will it work perfectly on Cubase?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Welcome to MacRumors

#2 hint after #1 (being patient) is to Search or browse around the Digital Audio forum, this has been covered...

The input of the MacBook expects a line level signal, the guitar itself does not have enough signal. However, the output of the Boss may be sufficient -- so get a 1/4" to miniplug adaptor and try it in the Line In jack. If the Boss has stereo outputs, use a Y jack - 2 x 1/4" to a stereo miniplug

Otherwise there are a lot of devices you can get -- besides the iMic mentioned, there is a wide range of Analog.Digital interfaces, both USB and Firewire, that go from $100 to $2000 and offer various numbers of instrument and microphone inputs. Edirol, M-Audio, Terratec, Digitech, Focusrite, Phonic, Alesis, Mark of the Unicorn, Mackie, and other brands.

pedro nicoli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Brazil
thanks for the help!..
now....does anyone know if i'll get latency using USb, Firewire or even direct input?

I have the Audiophile 2496 on my desktop pc and i get no latency, it works perfectly!
does the sound card on the Macbook suport low latency too?
when using a USB or Firewire device like the M-audio's Jam Lab, is it latency free or what?

pedro nicoli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Brazil
its the delay between the time you play a note and the time the sound plays in your speakers.
mos users wont have issues on this, except when using pro software to add realtime effects. like any VST instrument on Cubase, Nuendo or Cakewalk...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if you're including yourself in that last group, then, no, there's nothing you can do about latency. if you truly need to hear those effects in order to play your part, then you must either 1) live with the latency, or 2) replace those soft effects with hardware ones.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you're really going to have to provide a lot more information, about everything, because i have precious little idea what you're actually doing.

setup and process details, please. right now there are about 60 billion variables.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
pedro nicoli said:
but it work flawless on my desktop PC...why it wont on the macbook?
That is impossible to answer.
Every Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog conversion has latency.
The only way you don't, is if you take an analog monitor output from *before* the conversion -- which, naturally, cannot include any of the software effects.... but will include whatever effects your Boss is creating in the analog realm.

So the answer about your desktop PC is: You have latency, but in your case (described as "flawless") that latency is within your own personal tolerances and you find it OK. The same goes for the Mac. There will be latency, but Macs generally are quite good compared to PCs in this regard, so you can expect that the latency on a MacBook Pro or whatever to be comparable to the PC.

The amount of latency, on either Mac or PC, depends on the speed of the machine's CPU, the efficiency of the interface and its software drivers, the type of software you are running and the number of plug in effects (more load = longer latency), any other slowdowns in the system (drive performance, RAM performance, OS performance), and is ditectly controlled by what you have chosen to set the buffer size to.

Smaller buffers mean lower latency. But smaller buffers also mean glitching or dropouts if the amount of data incoming exceeds the ability of the machine to keep up. Larger buffers mean that you can record more simultaneous tracks, and have more plug-ins and operations running at the same time -- at the expense of longer latency. It's a trade-off.

Also remember, latency is only an issue when you are recording live instruments and monitoring through the software. Latency is not an issue if your are monitoring pre-conversion (as above) and Latency is not an issue for playing back tracks and software generated instruments because almost all sequencers/digital audio software has latency compensation where the tracks are automatically slid in time so that they line up well on output.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i plug my bass into the Audio Line-in using a female jack to male minijack adapter, and it sounds and works fine. Make sure you change it to channel 1, otherwise it will play only on the left speaker :p

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I use an*M-Audio Firewire Solo and highly recommend it.* Low latency.* It also sports XLR inputs for when you feel like using a microphone for input.* Really nice little unit and not expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.