Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
How is one supposed to go about keeping the phone from interrupting a video recording if an incoming call comes in?

Here are a couple of sites which say one can keep the screen from being commandeered by an incoming call using the Do Not Disturb feature.

https://m.wikihow.com/Block-All-Incoming-Calls-on-iPhone-or-iPad

1) Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > toggle the switch on
2) Go to Settings > Do Not Disburb > Allow Calls From > selected No One

I followed the instructions at each of those sites and my screen is still commandeered by an incoming call. Are these sites accurate? If so, then my phone clearly isn't working as it should. If the sites are inaccurate, then how does one go about preventing an incoming call from interrupting a video recording?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Yep, that makes sense.
How could two seemingly reputable websites get this wrong?
You may have run into some of Do Not Distub's exceptions:

Allow Calls From: Allow calls from everyone, no one, your favorites, or specific contact groups stored on your device or iCloud.

Repeated Calls: If someone calls you twice within three minutes, the second call isn't silenced.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
You may have run into some of Do Not Distub's exceptions:

Allow Calls From: Allow calls from everyone, no one, your favorites, or specific contact groups stored on your device or iCloud.

Repeated Calls: If someone calls you twice within three minutes, the second call isn't silenced.
I turned on 'allow calls from no one', called the phone from a different phone and my phone allowed the call. So 'allow calls from no one' doesn't do what it says it does. Or my phone isn't functioning properly.

Reactions: KDLM

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I turned on 'allow calls from no one', called the phone from a different phone and my phone allowed the call. So 'allow calls from no one' doesn't do what it says it does. Or my phone isn't functioning properly.
Do you have it set to "Always"?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And you are sure DND is enabled -- you can see the icon in the status bar?

Also, you don't have any contacts set with Emergency Bypass (which bypasses DND and even the side silent/vibrate switch)?

If all that is in order, then perhaps something is off with your device. You might want to try something like resetting all settings or even reinstalling.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
And you are sure DND is enabled -- you can see the icon in the status bar?

Also, you don't have any contacts set with Emergency Bypass (which bypasses DND and even the side silent/vibrate switch)?

If all that is in order, then perhaps something is off with your device. You might want to try something like resetting all settings or even reinstalling.
I have 'Always' selected, 'Do Not Disturb' enabled and 'Allow Calls From' set to No One and an incoming call still commandeers my screen, thus halting a video. It sounds like you're saying if my phone is doing this, then something is amiss with my phone and that the two sites I posted are correct.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I have 'Always' selected, 'Do Not Disturb' enabled and 'Allow Calls From' set to No One and an incoming call still commandeers my screen, thus halting a video. It sounds like you're saying if my phone is doing this, then something is amiss with my phone and that the two sites I posted are correct.
They still could have just called twice, the second one going through. DND won't stop everything, airplane mode will.

I've shot hundreds of YouTube videos with the iPhone on airplane mode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They still could have just called twice, the second one going through. DND won't stop everything, airplane mode will.

I've shot hundreds of YouTube videos with the iPhone on airplane mode.
The repeated calls thing is also a DND setting which can be enabled or disabled. Realistically Emergency Bypass should be the only thing that would get through if everything else is disabled in DND settings.

TGB77

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
The repeated calls thing is also a DND setting which can be enabled or disabled. Realistically Emergency Bypass should be the only thing that would get through if everything else is disabled in DND settings.
If you're correct, then my phone isn't functioning properly.

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
This function changed in the latest ios in 2022 and a phone call is no longer interrupting a video recording anymore right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.