Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmokeItLow

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
Canada
+1 here. So annoying. Very capable MacBook Pro 16" and it's a pain in the ass when I'm recording tutorials using OnShape.

It's a 3D modelling web application Safari! Let me use all the juice I need and f* off!

You can leave Safari specific feedback on the Apple feedback page linked below. If this message is still bothering you, please fill it out so maybe someone at Apple will see it someday.

Apple Feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm getting this just scrolling on reddit on my brand new M1 MacBook Air with 16GB RAM. Yeah... no. There's no way reddit is using significant amounts of energy on this beast of a machine. Like others, I don't care what it's using. I'm on the web page because I want to be there - leave me alone!

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I'm getting this just scrolling on reddit on my brand new M1 MacBook Air with 16GB RAM. Yeah... no. There's no way reddit is using significant amounts of energy on this beast of a machine. Like others, I don't care what it's using. I'm on the web page because I want to be there - leave me alone!
What I hate most is that certain web apps (for instance charting apps) seem to start to lag after this Safari banner starts popping up. Forcing me to restart Safari.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
yeah this is absurd, its recently started happening on my gmail tabs such that they are stuck on a blank screen with this banner every time i check them. maybe its something on google's side, but i am seeing this banner a lot more on sites all over the place which leads me to believe its safari that is handling things worse, not vice versa.

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
While watching content on Disney+ I also get the banner from time to time. Sometimes the website even gets reloaded because of the "significant energy" I guess – very annoying while watching a video. With Netflix everything is fine though.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
How has this not been addressed by Apple yet? This pop-up is extremely annoying and worse it slows down the page when it shows up. I don't care if it's using significant memory, I have a freakin' M1 with 16GB of unified memory. Let it rip!

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
followup up to this - I was just using my older 2013 MacBook Pro with 16gb ram, Big Sur and latest safari. not seeing the banner, whereas on my 2018 MacBook Pro with 32gb ram and same Big Sur and safari... CONSTANT banners on the same sites.

is safari somehow worse optimized on newer hardware??

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
+100000000 This is the stupidist f*ing thing Ive ever seen. Cant watch YT on safari because the banner pops up literally every 10 seconds...even in full screen. Apple fix this nonsense!

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
+100000000 This is the stupidist f*ing thing Ive ever seen. Cant watch YT on safari because the banner pops up literally every 10 seconds...even in full screen. Apple fix this nonsense!
It is very stupid and annoying. Browser based trading apps become super laggy.. it’s preventing me from leaving Chrome for Safari. I don’t care that my browser uses a lot of energy.. I want it to. I have plenty of horsepower.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Add me to the list of people infuriated by this useless notification. Also "significant memory". I have 32GB of RAM and don't care.

Not only that, but sometimes I dismiss the warning only for it to appear five seconds later! I've already reported this as a bug multiple times. Never a response.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Add me to the list of people infuriated by this useless notification. Also "significant memory". I have 32GB of RAM and don't care.

Not only that, but sometimes I dismiss the warning only for it to appear five seconds later! I've already reported this as a bug multiple times. Never a response.
Mostly for this reason, but others as well (some missing extensions, although nothing I couldn't necessarily live without), I tried, I really tried switching to Safari on my Mac Mini with 16gb (which is plenty), but after a week or so I went back to Chrome.

7andrei7

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
I hope whoever is responsible for this crap will have nightmares about it for the rest of their life. Can't believe it's been years since this is a constant bug and nobody is fixing it.
Started on my 2018 MBP and with every software update it's worse and worse. It even comes on top of full screen live video streaming from legit websites like F1TV. I close it and it pops up again in 5 min. Unbelievable! F*ck safari!

Reactions: k.alexander

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I hope whoever is responsible for this crap will have nightmares about it for the rest of their life. Can't believe it's been years since this is a constant bug and nobody is fixing it.
Started on my 2018 MBP and with every software update it's worse and worse. It even comes on top of full screen live video streaming from legit websites like F1TV. I close it and it pops up again in 5 min. Unbelievable! F*ck safari!
I don't even want to waste my time testing it out, but it sounds like the same bug (or is it a feature according to Apple?) is still there..?

Reactions: 7andrei7

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I have been getting the significant memory banner for the past two hours when browsing MacRumors using Safari on my new MacBook Air M1. Not impressed at all.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have never seen the "significant energy" banner but frequently see one that says "significant memory". This is a very annoying Safari "feature". I get it with Sierra, Mojave and Catalina on my Macs but apparently it's still there in Big Sur. I have 64gb RAM in my Mini, so I'm not worried about Safari using too much. The only fix is to use a different browser, have done testing on a site I developed myself and Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Opera were all fine on the same page that gave the warning in Safari.

Here are a couple other threads:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't even want to waste my time testing it out, but it sounds like the same bug (or is it a feature according to Apple?) is still there..?
It's a feature in that it tells you that the webpage is a system hog.

It's a bug in that it doesn't STAY DISMISSED when you dismiss it. When you click that X you're basically telling Safari "Yeah I know." It shouldn't bother you again for the rest of that session.

I've reported it numerous times now. I have a feeling it will never be fixed at this point. Sometimes I get a feeling these bugs only get fixed when either that subsystem is revamped, or the bugs annoy higher-ups at Apple enough.

Reactions: Boyd01

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
It's a feature in that it tells you that the webpage is a system hog.

It's a bug in that it doesn't STAY DISMISSED when you dismiss it. When you click that X you're basically telling Safari "Yeah I know." It shouldn't bother you again for the rest of that session.

I've reported it numerous times now. I have a feeling it will never be fixed at this point. Sometimes I get a feeling these bugs only get fixed when either that subsystem is revamped, or the bugs annoy higher-ups at Apple enough.
Agreed! And that just goes to show you that there's no way in hell anyone at Apple is using their own Safari browser, because, it literally happens all day long every day. I tried hard to switch to Safari again a few months ago; primarily bc of this, I'm back on Chrome. Good job Apple!

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Anyone with beta of MacOS 12 Monterey installed -- IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE IN SAFARI?
Sorry for yelling, just one of those days ;)

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I am not on the beta of MacOS 12 so no help to you :( but I agree it is very irritating. I get it every couple of days and usually on Macrumors but perhaps it is the biggest system hog of sites I use.

A very similar issue is Apple key decision makers can't be using Apple Music on MacOS. What a long time disaster that reflects very poorly on the company.

t2xs

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2005
Sydney
HI, I'm MacOS 14.5.2, and get this on my subscribed newspaper smh.com.au (Sydney Morning Herald) as well as MacRumors. On the smh.com.au site, the message will come up saying it is using a significant amount of resources etc.. and increasingly I have to refresh the page to enable scrolling up and down on the page. Screenshot attached.
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 14.50.17.png

nicky49

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2021
This is my first post. I have a Mac mini (2014 with Big Sur) and I started getting "the message" about six months ago on Safari. I don't mind the message but about 5 minutes later I start getting those spinning loading circles for awhile and then the website starts to fade and I'm left with a blank white screen. Everything gone, poof.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
In my experience, in Monterey this issue with the banners is much improved. The banner sometimes appears, but so far it hasn't come back once dismissed, and it appears a lot less often.

I'm guessing Apple adjusted the thresholds for when it appears, reducing the frequency. It's definitely been less annoying and I've enjoyed using Safari much more since Monterey.

Reactions: Boyd01

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I probably close that dam pop up 30 to 40 times a day. Are they growing retards at Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.