Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Is there a way to disable the pop up window that started appearing recently when I am attempting to select text for any reason? The image below shows the problem that started when I had to roll back, from Catalina to High Sierra, thanks to the death of the SanDisk I was using for the Catalina installation. Several years ago, I got this popup disabled, but I cannot remember how I did it. The information I have found by searching has not worked.

Thank you for any help you can provide for this.

1694078621410.png

Last edited by a moderator:

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
You may have trackpad or other click settings on for Look Up

Thank you for such an informative and thoughtful reply. This seems to getting to the solution, but I am still ignorant of key elements.

Following link you posted let to a that says:

"Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Trackpad"

I am running High Sierra for the moment (will getting back to Catalina soon, I hope). I do not see System Settings under the Apple in the Apple menu. I see System Preferences. It looks like this:
1694848273022.png

The next information provided at the link you provided is a list of Trackpad settings, most of which I can access in System Preferences, inside Trackpad:

1694850259965.png

1694850356373.png

1694850382851.png

1694850406195.png

1694850439673.png

1694850481880.jpg

Attachments

• 1694848517742.png
    1694848517742.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Force Click = I know you mentioned it earlier, but I'm not clear on if the settings are missing or don't move, or have no effect ? .

I don't have High Sierra to view the settings, but as the earlier-referenced article says :
  • Force click and haptic feedback: On a Force Touch trackpad, force click an item to take action. (To force click, press firmly until you feel a deeper click.) For example, force click a file in the Finder to show it in a Quick Look window. With the checkbox selected, you also feel tactile feedback when aligning objects in some apps, like Preview.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Does this pop-up problem occur in any text situation on your system? On every browser? In any TextEdit document? I wonder if it could be some form of malware, masquerading as a 'helpful' data detector? You could try running Malwarebytes in free mode.

Reactions: danallen

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Does this pop-up problem occur in any text situation on your system? On every browser? In any TextEdit document? I wonder if it could be some form of malware, masquerading as a 'helpful' data detector? You could try running Malwarebytes in free mode.
Does this pop-up problem occur in any text situation on your system? Either yes almost yes.

On every browser? yes

In any TextEdit document? yes

I wonder if it could be some form of malware, masquerading as a 'helpful' data detector? You could try running Malwarebytes in free mode. That sounds like a good suspicion. Thank you. I will see what I can do about that.

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
When I finally got Catalina installed last night, the dreadful popup disappeared. If I boot with HighSierra again, I imagine the popup still comes out of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.