Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
I just got new rMBP and it came with mavericks. first thing I did was run diagnostic test no problems found so next I erased entire hd. (I been using yosemite since early beta and i am pretty use to it now, so i figured i would install it like i did on old MBP)

I wanted to create Recover HD but will wait till Recovery Partition Creator updates foe yosemite.

after it booted and I installed some apps and decided to repair permissions with disk utility enabled disk utility debug menu selected show every partition

and I found

Macintosh
EFI (hidden)
Macintosh (hidden)
Recovery HD (hidden)

I thought I made a mistake so erased it again (firewire through my old MBP)
checked it with diskutil corestorage list
came back "No CoreStorage logical volume groups found"

re-did installation of yosemite and again when it booted up it created hidden macintosh and recovery hd. Recovery HD doesn't show up at boot when hold down option key. ran diskutil corestorage list and there it was again

how do I stop it from creating fusion drive automatically? I have only one 1TB SSD, why does it create logical volume? and how do I stop it?

can someone share some thoughts on this?

Last edited:

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I just got new rMBP and it came with mavericks. first thing I did was run diagnostic test no problems found so next I erased entire hd. (I been using yosemite since early beta and i am pretty use to it now, so i figured i would install it like i did on old MBP)

I wanted to create Recover HD but will wait till Recovery Partition Creator updates foe yosemite.

after it booted and I installed some apps and decided to repair permissions with disk utility enabled disk utility debug menu selected show every partition

and I found

Macintosh
EFI (hidden)
Macintosh (hidden)
Recovery HD (hidden)

I thought I made a mistake so erased it again (firewire through my old MBP)
checked it with diskutil corestorage list
came back "No CoreStorage logical volume groups found"

re-did installation of yosemite and again when it booted up it created hidden macintosh and recovery hd. Recovery HD doesn't show up at boot when hold down option key. ran diskutil corestorage list and there it was again

how do I stop it from creating fusion drive automatically? I have only one 1TB SSD, why does it create logical volume? and how do I stop it?

can someone share some thoughts on this?

Maybe I am not understanding or your not, but a Fusion drive requires two drives. It is not making a fusion drive.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Just make a bootable USB drive of Yosemite installer and boot from it, go to Disk Utilities and from there erase all partitions from your drive.

Then create a new one (I name mine Macintosh SSD) and the install Yosemite from there.

There's no need to use your old MBP.

It just works ;)

PS. In Yosemite, you need to press CMD+R while booting to enter into the Recovery partition.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
yes i have been installing it from yosemite from USB only. I am not doing internet recovery. that is what i did very first time. booted rMBP in target disk mode so my old MBP can see it. erased it. came back to select disk part on installer used disk utility, I re-did partition GUID, 1 partition. selected macintosh hd and installs fine to but when it boots to desk top and i do diskutil corestorage list. it has those logical volumes recreated. I made sure that there was no corestorage before installation started. tried 3 times some how it comes back.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
If the yosemite installation creates a core storage logical volume you can revert it to get partitions back to normal by running these 2 commands in terminal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

Then restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yes i have been installing it from yosemite from USB only. I am not doing internet recovery. that is what i did very first time. booted rMBP in target disk mode so my old MBP can see it. erased it. came back to select disk part on installer used disk utility, I re-did partition GUID, 1 partition. selected macintosh hd and installs fine to but when it boots to desk top and i do diskutil corestorage list. it has those logical volumes recreated. I made sure that there was no corestorage before installation started. tried 3 times some how it comes back.

There is nothing wrong with your install and this is normal. On newer Mac portables Yosemite creates a core storage volume (different than Fusion).

If you hold command-r when booting it will boot to recovery. Option key boot will not show recovery because of the core storage volume.

You are fine and there is no need to turn off the core storage.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Thank you quick reply guys

okay its suppose to have 3 hidden partitions?
Macintosh
EFI (hidden)
Macintosh (hidden)
Recovery HD (hidden)
i can understand EFI, i thought it was duplicating or something.

i can do boot camp partition? will that cause any problem?

should i or shouldnt i delete that core volume.

okay command + r works. I was worried for nothing.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you quick reply guys

okay its suppose to have 3 hidden partitions?
Macintosh
EFI (hidden)
Macintosh (hidden)
Recovery HD (hidden)
i can understand EFI, i thought it was duplicating or something.

i can do boot camp partition? will that cause any problem?

should i or shouldnt i delete that core volume.

Yes... what you are seeing is normal and all those partitions should be there.

Bootcamp will not be able to resize the core storage volume.

If you want to resize before using bootcamp disconnect all external drives and run the command below in Terminal to turn off (revert) the core storage, then resize normally.

Code:
diskutil cs revert /

You don't want to delete the core storage volume, but you can "revert" it to allow resizing of the partition if you need to. Otherwise, leave it alone.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
thanks Weaselboy

i might just stick with PD. i'll stick with core volume if its better for stability of OS.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thanks Weaselboy

i might just stick with PD. i'll stick with core volume if its better for stability of OS.

If you are interested, look over the last couple pages of this htread. Everybody has pieced together how Apple determines when to enable the core storage, but nobody has figured out for sure yet why it is enabled. Obviously it is not by accident.

If you don't have a specific need to disable it, I would leave it on.

adarkenigma

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
thanks will check it out. one last question regarding CS

how does it this effect backup strategy. I have been using superduper. do i have to do something special or just select regular volume when i do back up.
or it doesnt matter.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thanks will check it out. one last question regarding CS

how does it this effect backup strategy. I have been using superduper. do i have to do something special or just select regular volume when i do back up.
or it doesnt matter.

It does not change thing for backups. Works the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.