Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris92825031

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I'm in London and in clearing out think it's time to find a home for my old G4 Cube - lovingly updated with:
-1.5GB of RAM,
-a 1.7GHz chip (with fan),
-a Wang XFX GeForce6200 256MB graphics card (with fan),
-a MCE Superdrive,
-7200rpm full size hard disk,
...all set up to boot into either OS9 or Sorbet Leopard and with Target Disk Mode working. got a FW iSight camera, Belkin Mic for sound.

I also have a lot of install disks, a working spare Cube with upgraded RAM and a spare MCE Superdrive. I also have a spare but dead pair of speakers and power brick. I have two period mice and keyboards.

What might that all be worth and the best way to sell it? Should I head for the ubiquitous auction site or list here in the market forum? Given the age of the kit I assume it's of most interest as a package so you have spares etc, and of course that's much more convenient for me, but welcome -and appreciate - your thoughts and advice.

chris92825031

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
IMG_6881.jpeg
IMG_6880.jpeg
IMG_6739.jpeg
IMG_6738.jpeg
IMG_6740.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: johnmarki

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Oooh I miss the Cube and the iSight camera... I wouldn't be able to take them in though, sadly.

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
For all that, I would say for a collector of that generation of Mac, around 140 dollars if everything works and you are selling the two in a package together, you could sell it on eBay, here, local… I don’t know much about selling these Mac’s so you would have to do your research. I would pay 40-60 for one cube with a SuperDrive, although I would have to find a use and a place to put it. Neither of those I have

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
I wonder whether you still have the stock VRM or upgraded with the more powerful VRM from Japan (costs $200+) to support the 1.7 GHz processor. Running the powerful processor with the 6200 Graphics card and a harddisk will blow up the stock VRM and if you are in bad luck the motherboard as well (as happened to me). A fully working Cube with 1.7 GHz processor, upgraded VRM, well working superdrive and preferably an SSD instead of the harddisk, I would not let go for under €600. With the spare working Cube add another €200.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
For all that, I would say for a collector of that generation of Mac, around 140 dollars if everything works and you are selling the two in a package together, you could sell it on eBay, here, local… I don’t know much about selling these Mac’s so you would have to do your research. I would pay 40-60 for one cube with a SuperDrive, although I would have to find a use and a place to put it. Neither of those I have
Just getting up to date with a few posts here.
I've no idea where you are located but frankly you are way, way off in your price estimates. Here and elsewhere in Europe some folks have been looking for and eventually paying well over 60 dollars (56euros) for a Cube power supply alone - this being the official proprietary 205-watt power adapter that is required to supply power to a Cube, they won't work without one.
As for a Cube with the 1.7GHz after-market processor they are rare and collectors are usually willing to pay a high price.
There's no way I would part with my fully functional, upgraded 1.2 MHz G4 Cube for less than 500euros (US$540). Even the base 440 or 500MHz models here frequently go for between 300-450euros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.