Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damenace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I am working my senior engineering capstone design project. Part of the project is to take a picture of a resistor, read the color coding by using image analysis. Then a robotic arm wouold pick up the resistor and place it in a bin according to its resister value.

Specifically, how can I find out how to interface with the camera to zoom, focus, maybe change its viewing properties. And then take a picture. Once the picture is taken other software will take the image and analyze it..........

I already have a isight and figure this is the best webcam around and is mountable on a robotic arm, and would not want to buy an expensive camera for this project.......

(I would rather not buy software, but instead, write it)
Are there schematics around?
Any Sugggestions?
I see some 20 dollar programs around that allow you to control it?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
(Sorry for the off topic, but..)

Still worrying that there isn't a shutter on all the iSight equipped Macs. Sure, you may see a light indicating it's on, but then what. How do you know which application (or background application) is using the iSight, so how do you stop it?

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
whooleytoo said:
(Sorry for the off topic, but..)

Still worrying that there isn't a shutter on all the iSight equipped Macs. Sure, you may see a light indicating it's on, but then what. How do you know which application (or background application) is using the iSight, so how do you stop it?
Black sticky tape over the lens? ;)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
caveman_uk said:
Black sticky tape over the lens? ;)

Wow.. These low-tech solutions never cease to amaze me! ;)

It's just that recently I've been developing a lot of background applications, and it's made me realise the ease with which a trojan could install one which does... almost anything. A little frightening. (and sorry damenace for the thread hijack!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.