Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So how do you update the OSX usb stick with the OS update that released today?

You will need to wait until the full App Store version is updated to 10.8.1 then redownload the entire install and make the USB key again with the new version. With Lion, the full App Store version was always updated pretty quickly after the updates came out.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
You will need to wait until the full App Store version is updated to 10.8.1 then redownload the entire install and make the USB key again with the new version. With Lion, the full App Store version was always updated pretty quickly after the updates came out.

Already on the site. Did so myself, and did a clean install. ;)

With me, I have everything on a large USB thumb drive and after doing the clean install, I inserted the USB drive and transferred everything. As for my Apple downloaded programs, I just went back to the Apple Store and downloaded the programs. Specially the ones that have now been upgraded to Mountain Lion

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
Sorry I've practically been helping nobody in here. Just went back to school, and I've been drowning in a sea of work. I feel bad for not being here.

Anyways, about the new incrimental update to OS X. I've been digging in the update files to see if I can copy the 10.8.1 update to the USB drive, but don't have an answer yet. As of now, you have to download the ENTIRE 4.3 GB file from the App Store (Ugh! :(), and restore it with my method, or DiskMaker.

Will update if I find a way to restore the combo updater to your USB drive with 10.8.0 already on it.

-WH

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Will update if I find a way to restore the combo updater to your USB drive with 10.8.0 already on it.

-WH

This happened with Lion also, and I don't recall anybody ever figuring out a way to apply an incremental update to the installer. Each point release required an entire 4GB+ redownload of the entire OS installer.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I want to buy OS X ML in the Mac App Store. I have some questions:

1. Can I install the one copy of OS X ML purchased in the App Store on more than one Mac? I have an iMac (OS X SL) and a MacBook Air (OS X Lion).
2. I have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. Do I have to install Windows 7 again, when updating to OS X ML? Is my Windows 7 installation lost?
3. When updating, I would save all my files on an external hd. And do I have to install all programs like MS Office, VLC, DIVX, Apps etc. again? Does the update delete everything and then reinstalling fresh and new the OS?

Thanks for answers.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I want to buy OS X ML in the Mac App Store. I have some questions:

1. Can I install the one copy of OS X ML purchased in the App Store on more than one Mac? I have an iMac (OS X SL) and a MacBook Air (OS X Lion).
2. I have Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. Do I have to install Windows 7 again, when updating to OS X ML? Is my Windows 7 installation lost?
3. When updating, I would save all my files on an external hd. And do I have to install all programs like MS Office, VLC, DIVX, Apps etc. again? Does the update delete everything and then reinstalling fresh and new the OS?

Thanks for answers.

1. Yes. You can install it all the Macs you own.

2. Won't hurt it.

3. If you just do the normal upgrade install, you won't need to reinstall anything. It will all still be there configured as it was before.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
1. Yes. You can install it all the Macs you own.

2. Won't hurt it.

3. If you just do the normal upgrade install, you won't need to reinstall anything. It will all still be there configured as it was before.

Thank you very much! I will probably try upgrade then.

captndave

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Very good manual on how to perform a "clean install". Of course by migrating data, applications, etc. from a Time Machine backup you are negating the "clean" in "clean install":)

/Bo

than stevejobsfan for all your work here, I was wondering about this issue quoted above when I came across this thread. I had done a clean install of lion to a ssd , but then it seemed migration assistant moved everything anyway, responses to the quote? do you negate the benefits of a clean install?

MikeProcter

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I am migrating 2 machines.

I have a rMBP which is on ML. I am using the Milgate assistant, but it would not see the time machine backup, so I am doing it from my old 2009 13" MBP via Ethernet. Not selected the settings.(also running ML)

When that has finished I will reboot the 13" MBP and redownload ML as a clean installation. Then I hope to be able to pull the data over from the time machine backup that my new machine saw, from SL onto the 13" MBP.

My wife will then be able to use the 13" MBP instead of my core duo iMac.

I just have to wait for another hour for the my data to be transferred.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Upgrading my iMac (Snow Leopard) and my Macbook Air (Lion) right now. I saved all my files on external HD. I hope everything will work fine and also my Bootcamp partitions will work after the upgrading correctly.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
Upgrade worked fine. I only had to reinstall Java and VLC Player. iMac does need more time to boot up, but thats okay.

fatherlytoaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
It has taken nearly an hour to install from a USB stick. It seems to be stuck at a screen and says "installing" in front of a gray background with a large "X". This is getting frustrating. What should I do?

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
It has taken nearly an hour to install from a USB stick. It seems to be stuck at a screen and says "installing" in front of a gray background with a large "X". This is getting frustrating. What should I do?

Two questions.

1.) How old is your Macintosh?

2.) Has the progress bar moved at all? Even an inch?

dogslife

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Hot fix - Restore Failure -Could not restore

I found this article that fixed this problem for me:
http://aproudlove.squarespace.com/b...-failure-could-not-restore-resource-busy.html

Basically, for some reason, I had to unmount the Destination partition. The article notes that Finder is the resource thats using the mounted drive. Here's a quote from the article:

After a bit of thinking though, the solution came to me, the problem was due to the fact that the USB disk that I wanted to restore the disk to was mounted in finder. The solution therefore was in Disk Utility, to click on the partition beneath the disk and select unmount. Note it's important to unmount just the partition and not the disk. You can see an example in the screenshot below, The 16GB Kingston DataTraveler is the device/disk and beneath it, is the Mac OS X Installer partition that was created on it. By unmounting this partition, you enable Disk Utility to restore the Lion Image to the device.
Why this is only happening to some of us is a mystery!

@Steve.p - Thanks for writing this guide!

:)

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I found this article that fixed this problem for me:
http://aproudlove.squarespace.com/b...-failure-could-not-restore-resource-busy.html

Basically, for some reason, I had to unmount the Destination partition. The article notes that Finder is the resource thats using the mounted drive. Here's a quote from the article:

Why this is only happening to some of us is a mystery!

@Steve.p - Thanks for writing this guide!

:)

Yeah. I installed ML on 4 computers that day, and I ran into the same issue everybody was running into myself on two of them. I don't know why it was happening. Your mileage will vary when it comes to technology. I'm *hoping* that unmounting will be the permanent solution. But, at least you found one. Oh, and you're welcome for the guide. I was in Pittsburgh Best Western with my PowerBook G4 (I returned it to the eBay seller one week after I wrote the guide) and was bored. So, I fired up Pages, and wrote this to help reduce the sea of "Mountain Lion won't install/My ML install is borked/HALP!" threads. Thanks for your support. :)

- S.P.J.F/William

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Hi guys

Im having TM restoring problem(ML).
i have latest TM back ups and Super-duper sparse bundle
Problem one: Couldn't figure out how to restore from Sparsebundle (Disk utility nor Super duper)
Problem two: TM restoring giving me only 3 back ups those created 3 month ago(they are still in OSx 10.7.x) But I can see the files from finder (Latest TM back ups).
How I can tell the mac to use latest TM dates, it says only full back ups can be restored or something like that :mad:

Any help would be very appreciated.

butane bob

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before - I'm new around here

I have just bought a macbook pro, and would like to upgrade it with an SSD, so will need a mountain lion download. The macbook came with mountain lion already installed, so it does not appear in my app store purchases to download. Is there any way of downloading it without having to pay for an upgrade I already have?

Cheers

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011

I have just bought a macbook pro, and would like to upgrade it with an SSD, so will need a mountain lion download. The macbook came with mountain lion already installed, so it does not appear in my app store purchases to download. Is there any way of downloading it without having to pay for an upgrade I already have?

Cheers

Hi Bob

Unfortunatly, u won't be able download new ML for free (from app store) unles you buy it separatly.
But you can use SuperDuper (goigle it) and u connect ur SSD as a external hard and all you do is, just copy all your current hard drive, in this way u won't loos any system config and any file u have (include ML) if its first time, don't be tempted to wipe ur HDD (incase anything goes wrong)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Cheers

Just do a command-r boot after the new drive is installed. Your new MBP has recovery built into system firmware (EFI) that will connect to Apples servers and first download a recovery image then finally the full OS. Once the recovery screen comes up you will see Disk Utility in a menu there. Just run Disk Util and format the new drive Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and install Mountain Lion from the same screen. It will take a bit as it has to download the 4.7 install.

Apple's servers will see your serial number and give you Mountain Lion free.

butane bob

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
many thanks for the replies guys, most helpful - I've installed superduper and made a hdd clone already, but will try your suggestion first weaselboy - these macs are awfully clever it seems :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
many thanks for the replies guys, most helpful - I've installed superduper and made a hdd clone already, but will try your suggestion first weaselboy - these macs are awfully clever it seems :)

Superduper will get your data back, but it does not create a Recovery HD partition like the ML install will, and you really should have the Recovery HD there. If you want to go the clone route you can use the 30 trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to do that and it will create the recovery partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.