Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
There is an app i like to purchase in the app store. Its under 20 dollars or so. When i click on purchase, it first shows the email i use connected to my apple account. But what happens when i click and download it etc. Does it then ask me for my credit card information? I never bought an app before on the app store so curious about this. Do they also take paypal or not?

Thanks.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
You could run out and get yourself an iTunes gift card and add it to your account. It's a nice, and safe way to add money to your account without attaching a credit or debit card to your account.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You could run out and get yourself an iTunes gift card and add it to your account.

Potential bonus with this method: if you have a grocery store's saver's card, odds are you get 2x points on the purchase, and occasionally can get up to 4x points (Kroger chain). Whenever I have my iTunes subscriptions coming due, I will get gift cards to cover the renewals and get my points.

Do they also take paypal or not?

Paypal is an option:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 2.25.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 2.25.08 PM.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 78

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Hi there. Well the item is around 15 dollars or so. So how do i buy this gift card online if i were to do this? Or you suggest not because i believe amounts are like 5, 10, 25 etc?
[doublepost=1518302733][/doublepost]Could i also use my credit card to buy it but once i do that, remove my credit card from my account? Because i do not plan on buying anything else on the app store. Its basically one app that im trying to buy and thats all.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I would just run out to a local store and buy the iTunes card, rather than try to buy one online. I usually buy a $15 card when I want to add a few bucks to the account. Doesn't hurt to have a few extra bucks in your account, either. Even though you're only thinking of one purchase now you may want something else in the future.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Going out to buy a gift card simply to avoid linking your PayPal or debit/credit card to your Apple account is borderline tinfoil hat methodology....

Just link some payment method, buy the app and leave it at that.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
A gift card on your account is much safer than a credit card, your PayPal or a debit card. Even Apple can be hacked, it's just a matter of time. With a gift card you might lose a few bucks to a hacker. That's a lot better than having a bank account cleaned out or having to deal with a credit card company. No tinfoil here at all. Just a matter of safety.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Hey all. Got an issue. I went to make the purchase on my iphone in the app store. I chose to pay from my paypal account as oppose to my credit card. I have a balance on paypal. However when i made the purchase, it ask me which option to choose on paypal... my bank account or my credit/debit card. I was confused why they ask this since i already have a balance in my paypal. Thus the payment should come directly from my paypal account right? Well i then just put my bank account since that was the only one that is connected.

Now it shows on paypal Itunes preapproved payment for the amount. And the app that i purchased, i cannot even use it now. Is it because i have to wait till the money gets deducted from my bank account? Is there a reason why it didn't deduct automatically from my paypal balance? So right now is there a way i can cancel this pending payment and make payment again so i could buy the app immediately?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.