Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beachdude42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Recently, my iTunes had been running sluggishly, especially when using Apple Music functionality. In the past, something I did which was often helpful when this happened was to completely uninstall iTunes on my Mac, then download and reinstall it fresh from Apple's website. As I had done in the past, I changed the "Sharing & Preferences" settings for iTunes so that I could delete it from my computer, and then deleted iTunes and all the associated system files.

However, now that I am going to reinstall iTunes, I see that macOS Mojave won't allow me to reinstall it at all?! I downloaded the iTunes 12.8 installer from Apple's site, and the installer states that "This update requires macOS version 10.13.99 or earlier". I also can't seem to find a way to reinstall the new 12.9 version via either the new Software Update feature, or via the App Store. This is ridiculous! Surely there is some way to get iTunes back on my computer. I don't need it to be an old version, in fact I'm perfectly happy with 12.9... I just need a way to put it back!

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If you have a copy of the 12.9 version of iTunes you should be able to manually move it to the applications folder?

FYI - here is a thread here that has info to install older versions of iTunes on Mojave

I just check the iTunes download page to see where 12.9 can be downloaded and there is no link for the Mac version of 12.9 ? Crazy! - you can download the windows verions of 12.9 but not the mac version? - hopefully this is a mistake and will be soon corrected. - very strange.

Reactions: beachdude42

beachdude42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
If you have a copy of the 12.9 version of iTunes you should be able to manually move it to the applications folder?

FYI - here is a thread here that has info to install older versions of iTunes on Mojave

I just check the iTunes download page to see where 12.9 can be downloaded and there is no link for the Mac version of 12.9 ? Crazy! - you can download the windows verions of 12.9 but not the mac version? - hopefully this is a mistake and will be soon corrected. - very strange.
I do not have a copy of 12.9 handy unfortunately. What I am trying now is downloading the Mojave installer from the App Store and installing the OS again, in hopes that it’ll put iTunes back. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try the technique in the thread you linked to install an older version of iTunes, which I’ll hopefully be able to upgrade. Thank you!
[doublepost=1539103767][/doublepost]Yeah, reinstalling macOS Mojave through the App Store did the trick. Very weird that there isn't a simpler way anymore, and I definitely won't be bothering to do this again...

Reactions: mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Wow - that's crazy that you had to install the complete OS to get iTunes back! and no where to just download iTunes12.9!

FWIW - I just tried to find iTunes 12.9 on the app store and could not download it there either

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.