Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Do you know how to re-set Seagate 300 GB External Drive a(http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/external/usbfirewire)? When I was moving and organizing the back up files on Seagate, my Mac started showing the beach ball. So, I unmounted the drive (then I saw the error sign saying I disconnected incorrectly). Since then, I cannot mount this Seagate for any of my Macs. I disconnected the power for a few minutes in hope it will re-set itself; but it does not work.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Talk about coincidence. I am sitting here about to set up my new drive, same one. Nothing in the manual to reset drive. The only thing it offers is to use Disk Utility to try and mount it.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Talk about coincidence. I am sitting here about to set up my new drive, same one. Nothing in the manual to reset drive. The only thing it offers is to use Disk Utility to try and mount it.

Since it does not mount, this drive does not even show up on Disk Utility as well. I think something caused the shut down on this Seagate drive when I un-mounted it from my Mac (because of the beach ball). Now, it does not even turn off by pressing the on/off button. The only way I can turn off the power is unplug from the power source. I hope this thing is not broken; if so, this drive is too lame (and not robust enough for normal use).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.