Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Hello,

A friend told me to use VLC on my Apple TV so I can stream the local files from my iMac onto the Apple TV through SMB.

Now that I've tried to set up, I'm confused and can't make it work for various reasons :

- First, I'm not sure of which one is the right folder on the VLC tab because there's 2 or 3 times the same profile
- Once logged to one that seems the right one and starting a video, it just says please wait… and never loads anything, actually
- Is there also any way to not request password or anything?

Thanks

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I don't use VLC too often anymore on the ATV because of it's limitations but here's a decent guide to get you started.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
I don't use VLC too often anymore on the ATV because of it's limitations but here's a decent guide to get you started.

I edited the tag because I found out myself! Thanks a lot though

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Infuse would be a better option as it gives you rich media information. Plex is give you even more options, but requires a server and is more complex.

Screenshot from the Mac version:

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.03.05 PM.png

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Plex and Infuse are free with advanced features unlocked with paid versions. Haven't tested the free versions recently though.

Cost is minimal even with the paid versions if you stream a lot and value your time and convenience.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Plex and Infuse are free with advanced features unlocked with paid versions. Haven't tested the free versions recently though.

Cost is minimal even with the paid versions if you stream a lot and value your time and convenience.
I see! I wanted to try Infuse for free but unfortunately the format (.mkv) isn't supported on the free version.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Honestly, Infuse is worth paying a measly few $ for. It truly makes life easier. Your collection looks as slick as Netflix thanks to it. Such a pleasure.
Totally agree. Infuse isn’t that expensive and just works. I was where the OP is. Trying to get VLC to stream from my Mac was very hit or miss. I’d get a file to play after an hour of tweaking only to have it completely disappear from my library the next day. Once you switch to Infuse (or even Plex) you’ll never go back.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
One more thing… If all you want to do is stream content from computer to ATV on your home network, Plex will do it and do it for free. Install the server software on your Mac and client software on the ATV. Point the server software to the content you want to stream (best to keep movies, tv shows, home movies, etc in separate folders… once your set up you’ll understand why), log in the client software to your Plex account you created when you installed the server software and your all set. With a little more configurations you can even stream via the internet to watch your content, when you’re not home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.