Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I have a Ti667 PBook and USB external drive.
When I try to insert old mac game disks it says they are unreadable. I've tried this under OS 9 and 10.
What do you suggest?

idkew

macrumors 68020
Why do you use a floppy?

:confused:

Why would you ever use a floppy these days? Get a zip drive, burn a cd, use file sharing or email....

Floppy are horrible, antiquated pieces of equipment. I get people on a monthly basis who have lost an important term paper on their floppy. They think I can fix it, normally I can't.

My suggestion: Forget the floppy and use email.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I agree with idkew. However, in a world with many pc's with floppy drives it is sometimes necessary to share info.

maclamb, test the disks when the drive is attached to another mac to start with. If that works, try looking for updated drivers for the floppy drive? Or, somehow transfer the files to another media + insert that media into the TiBook.

Sorry, I know that was no much help. Someone else I am sure has a propper answer for you.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: How to read old Floppies with G4 Tibook?

Originally posted by maclamb
I have a Ti667 PBook and USB external drive.
When I try to insert old mac game disks it says they are unreadable. I've tried this under OS 9 and 10.
What do you suggest?
How old is old? If these are 800K floppies, you are out of luck. The USB floppy drives only support 1.44M floppies. File sharing over ethernet with a mac that has an internal floppy drive would let you access the disks, but if these are disks that you need to run the programs FROM, that is hardly a solution. Might try copying the floppies to disk images, and mounting the images on the powerbook.. that sometimes works.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Buy an SE/30

Go on eBay and buy a Mac SE/30. It's probably the cheapest Mac you can buy with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Transfer the floppies on that computer to 1.4 meg disks. It should work then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.