Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebfrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Aptos, CA
I have a Logitech Brio 4K webcam and I like to record videos with it. It records in 1080p just fine with the QuickTime app but won't record in 4K. OBS Studio records in 4K, but it drops tons of frames, even the new Apple Silicon beta version.

Camtasia will record in 4K and it does an OK job but I'd like to know is there anything with a smaller footprint - essentially just like QuickTime in terms of simplicity but would record in 4K?

Thanks for your help!

sebfrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Aptos, CA
I am recording talking head YouTube videos which I edit in Final Cut Pro. And I could just record 4K video on my iPhone, but I would like to use the 4K Brio webcam direct to the Mac. It’s a MacStudio with 32 GB RAM so unless I am gravely mistaken it should be able to handle this no sweat.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I am recording talking head YouTube videos which I edit in Final Cut Pro. And I could just record 4K video on my iPhone, but I would like to use the 4K Brio webcam direct to the Mac. It’s a MacStudio with 32 GB RAM so unless I am gravely mistaken it should be able to handle this no sweat.
4k is doing a lot of rendering. You need something like an ATEM,

Then a way to record the footage.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
I have a Logitech Brio 4K webcam and I like to record videos with it. It records in 1080p just fine with the QuickTime app but won't record in 4K. OBS Studio records in 4K, but it drops tons of frames, even the new Apple Silicon beta version.

Camtasia will record in 4K and it does an OK job but I'd like to know is there anything with a smaller footprint - essentially just like QuickTime in terms of simplicity but would record in 4K?

Thanks for your help!
The smallest footprint way to do this is with the built-in Screen Recorder in macOS (Command-Shift-5) that can record at whatever resolution you provide it. You then pair this with the awesome and free BlackHole: Audio Loopback Driver. BlackHole allows you to route the audio signal (internal sound output and/or a Mic) to your app of choice (OBS, Zoom, etc.), which can then be captured with video by the Mac's Screen Recorder.

MacMost has a video describing how to do this and the instructions from the BlackHole Github page linked above and its installer screen are also helpful to get optimal results.

Good luck!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
OBS Studio records in 4K, but it drops tons of frames, even the new Apple Silicon beta version.
Is it dropping frames in the capture window, or only in the recording? Have you gone into the settings and set the encoder to the Apple VT H264 Hardware Encoder and the bitrate to 10000kbps or higher?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.