Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goph27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I accidentally deleted a shared photostream album on my iPhone 5. I can still see it on my iPad and others I shared it with can still see it.

How do I get it back on my iPhone?

I am the owner of the shared photostream.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Which device did you share it from originally. Did you share from your iPad? If so then maybe you could go to the photo stream on the iPad click on the little arrow and try adding yourself there by adding the email associated with your iCloud account. I haven't run into this issue myself so sorry if that doesn't fix the issue.

Goph27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I originally shared it from my iPhone 5. I've tried adding myself to the shared photostream off my iPad. Doesn't work... Thanks though.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
(See Post #19 below for updated steps)

I'm gonna bump this old thread and give the answer cause I ran into the same thing and couldn't find the answer.

So you let your kid play with your phone even though your husband keeps telling you "it's not a toy, quit letting her play with it". Your kid deletes your shared photo stream. Your husband, parents, and other relatives can still see it on their devices.... but you can't see it on yours. What do you do?

in iOS 6.x do the following:

-- Go to Settings > iCloud > Photo Stream
-- On here you will see two toggle switches, one for "My Photo Stream" and one for "Shared Photo Stream".
-- Toggle off the "Shared Photo Stream".
-- This will prompt you and say "Turning off Shared Photo Streams will delete all shared photos from your iPhone" ....well... this is a bit of a misnomer. It's not going to delete the photos from your phone first of all... they would remain in your camera roll. Secondly, the photos in the shared photo stream are already gone (along with the entire thing) or you wouldn't be reading this.
-- Click Delete.
-- Now, toggle back on "Shared Photo Streams"
-- Go to Photos > Photo Stream tab and watch your old photo stream re-appear and begin to populate!

I hope this helps someone in the same position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaynasings

JKJones

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
I'm gonna bump this old thread and give the answer cause I ran into the same thing and couldn't find the answer.

So you let your kid play with your phone even though your husband keeps telling you "it's not a toy, quit letting her play with it". Your kid deletes your shared photo stream. Your husband, parents, and other relatives can still see it on their devices.... but you can't see it on yours. What do you do?

-- On here you will see two toggle switches, one for "My Photo Stream" and one for "Shared Photo Stream".
-- This will prompt you and say "Turning off Shared Photo Streams will delete all shared photos from your iPhone" ....well... this is a bit of a misnomer. It's not going to delete the photos from your phone first of all... they would remain in your camera roll. Secondly, the photos in the shared photo stream are already gone (along with the entire thing) or you wouldn't be reading this.
-- Click Delete.
-- Go to Photos > Photo Stream tab and watch your old photo stream re-appear and begin to populate!

I had to sign up to reply to this. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Leonard1818

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I originally shared it from my iPhone 5. I've tried adding myself to the shared photostream off my iPad. Doesn't work... Thanks though.

If you owned the stream and you deleted it off yr iPhone then you likely deleted it across the board. Which is why you can't change it from your iPad.

As for it being on yr iPad I've seen where things don't necessarily delete right off. But then you power off, hard reboot etc and away it went. Quirk of photo streams I suppose

longbrdpam

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Worked for me!

Thank you for the detailed recovery. I had to sign up to be able to thank you too. I just updated my iphone to 7.1.2 today, and made the mistake of removing the stream. However, I followed the steps provided above and recovered it.

The tricky thing is, I have a shared itunes account with my husband. So our devices all have the same itunes account. Screwy I know. So when I originally created the stream, I tried to add him by his cell number. So when I realized we both had the stream, and it showed him as be a failed invitation by his cell, I deleted him. Thats what caused the stream to disappear. Just sharing.

THANKS AGAIN!

haindis

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
I lost my iPhone, but I want to get back the photos of it, I have heard that there is a way to recover them from iCloud backup files, but I do not know how to do it. Help!

Autoport

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Hello,

I have experienced a similar issue and the following steps are what I did to recover deleted photos from iPhone.
Normally all photos from iPhone correctly push to photostream and it works.
But on a recent travel the photostream pushing seemed "spotty" and some random pictures taken with iPhone were/are not pushed to photostream. On the destination there was a (slow) wifi connection, might have something to do with it - but even after getting home to my faster wifi connection the remaining photos in my camera roll are still not pushed to photostream from the iPhone.

The missing photos not being pushed from the iPhone to photostream are random in timeline ("spotty" pushing).

Any ideas on why this happens?

I guess after connecting the iPhone to my Mac the entire camera roll will load into iPhoto, and iPhoto on Mac will do the remaining "pushing" to photostream; will have to wait and see with the help of iPhone Data Recovery.

But this issue purely is about incomplete pushing from iPhone camera roll to photostream.

Last edited:

KingSome

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2015
If you backed up your iPhone prior to deleting photos, you can restore your entire phone via iTunes. However keep in mind that will replace everything on your iPhone with the entire contents of your last backup. If you simply want to know how to recover deleted photos from iphone and not restore your entire device, you would need to use a third-party software utility program. There are several out there that offer deleted sms recovery options including the iPhone photos recovery tool which might be helpful.

Shaynasings

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2015

-- Click Delete.

Yes, thank you so much!!! I was afraid to say ok to that warning. You gave me the courage to do it, and sure enough my shared photo stream is now back!!!

kggilbert

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016

-- Click Delete.

[doublepost=1461716365][/doublepost]I signed up for this forum JUST TO THANK YOU! this saved my BUTT> AT first I didn't think it worked but then i saw the camera comment, went to my camera, saw the last pic, brought it back up and then went back to my pictures and BOOM THEY WERE THERE! you are my hero.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
[doublepost=1461716365][/doublepost]I signed up for this forum JUST TO THANK YOU! this saved my BUTT> AT first I didn't think it worked but then i saw the camera comment, went to my camera, saw the last pic, brought it back up and then went back to my pictures and BOOM THEY WERE THERE! you are my hero.

Glad it worked! I didn't know that SO MANY PEOPLE would run into the same issue, ha ha.

critfrit

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
Glad it worked! I didn't know that SO MANY PEOPLE would run into the same issue, ha ha.
[doublepost=1469184496][/doublepost]I don't seem to have a photo steam at all any more but the options I have arent't the same as listed here! Do you have updated info for recovering the photo stream on my iphone 6?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Ah, it appears they've changed some words -- but it looks to be about the same. Here's an update for iOS 9.x.x and I put in bold the stuff that seems to have changed:

-- Go to Settings > iCloud > Photos
-- On here you will see three toggle switches, one for "iCloud Photo Library", one for "My Photo Stream" and one for "iCloud Photo Sharing".
-- Toggle off the "iCloud Photo Sharing".
-- This will prompt you and say "Turning off iCloud Photo Sharing will delete all shared photos from your iPhone" ....well... this is a bit of a misnomer. It's not going to delete the photos from your phone first of all... they would remain in your camera roll. Secondly, the photos in the shared photo stream are already gone (along with the entire thing) or you wouldn't be reading this.
-- Click Delete.
-- Now, toggle back on "iCloud Photo Sharing"
-- Go to Photos > shared tab and watch your old photo stream re-appear and begin to populate!

NOTE: I did not go through these steps again... I stopped at "turning off iCloud Photo Sharing will delete...." as I don't really need to do this right now :) I have no reason to believe the rest of the steps won't work the same as they have for others but please do let us know if it doesn't for some reason!

Last edited:

critfrit

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
Ah, it appears they've changed some words -- but it looks to be about the same. Here's an update for iOS 9.x.x and I put in bold the stuff that seems to have changed:

-- On here you will see three toggle switches, one for "iCloud Photo Library", one for "My Photo Stream" and one for "iCloud Photo Sharing".
-- This will prompt you and say "Turning off iCloud Photo Sharing will delete all shared photos from your iPhone" ....well... this is a bit of a misnomer. It's not going to delete the photos from your phone first of all... they would remain in your camera roll. Secondly, the photos in the shared photo stream are already gone (along with the entire thing) or you wouldn't be reading this.
-- Click Delete.
-- Go to Photos > shared tab and watch your old photo stream re-appear and begin to populate!

NOTE: I did not go through these steps again... I stopped at "turning off iCloud Photo Sharing will delete...." as I don't really need to do this right now :) I have no reason to believe the rest of the steps won't work the same as they have for others but please do let us know if it doesn't for some reason!

I figured it out while I was playing around but you're right!!!! There is no such thing as the stream" as such any more.... Everything appears in "all photos".

Evrybdylovsjill

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017

-- Click Delete.

Oh my gosh, thank you!! This was so helpful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.