Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bezares

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
México
Hello
Several times I've restored my iPhone for some reasons, every time I lose all my heath app data even if I restore a back up from iTunes, is there any way to recover the data from a restore? I would like to see all my data when restore the iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Hello
Several times I've restored my iPhone for some reasons, every time I lose all my heath app data even if I restore a back up from iTunes, is there any way to recover the data from a restore? I would like to see all my data when restore the iPhone.

Thanks in advance.
iCloud backups should handle this by default, but iTunes backups require you to backup using the encryption option to save Health data.

Bezares

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
México

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I thought Apple's HealthKit didn't store data in the cloud? (i.e., iCloud backup wouldn't work.) I was under the impression that only encrypted iTunes backups saved HealthKit data.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I thought Apple's HealthKit didn't store data in the cloud? (i.e., iCloud backup wouldn't work.) I was under the impression that only encrypted iTunes backups saved HealthKit data.

I think iCloud backups save the health data automatically, but if you did all your backups via iTunes then you need to do encrypted.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

thats what i always thought as well but apparently not

"You can save the data stored in your Health app by backing up your iOS device using iCloud. Your data gets encrypted as it goes between iCloud and your device, and while it's stored in iCloud.

If you aren't using iCloud, you can back up your Health data by encrypting your iTunes backup. "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203037

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
So, this means if you get a new iPhone and don't restore it from backup but set up as a new phone, there's no way to get/keep your HealthKit data?

Sad to see all my info was gone. Hoped it would be restored from my iCloud login account, not attached to the device itself. I understand the need for security and privacy, but what a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.