Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
A couple months ago while using my iPhone X, the phone suddenly went dead and has never turned back on. I have since gotten an iPhone 13 but was very disappointed to see that about 15 months worth of pictures that I thought were being backed up to the cloud were evidently not... So I have 7 years worth of pictures in the cloud, then a 15 month break with no pictures (which includes quite a few vacations and precious life moments that I'd like to get back), and then the last couple months of pictures from my old iPhone *were* synced up.

I can be spared the whole back up your stuff more often and in more places and transfer to your computer more often lecture... I know. None of that really helps me now.

My question is... can I take my phone to an Apple store (or elsewhere) and have them recover the pictures that are on the phone? I have been unable to get the old phone to power on at all and it isn't being recognized my PCs or Macs when plugged in.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The phone will have to be turned on and you logged in with passcode to get those pictures.
If it’s that important to you, take the phone to Apple and see if they can boot it up. If they can’t- then the pictures are gone forever.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You won’t have any luck until you get it powered on. Once it’s on, it should be possible for (someone, likely a professional) to recover the data assuming you still know the pin or passcode

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I also suggest getting in touch with a data recovery service to see what they can do. It may be expensive to recover those photos but if they are important to you, the expense may be worth it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Depending on how “bricked” your iPhone is, data recovery company may or may not be able to recover your data stored on it, and data decryption is highly likely required.

Apple under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will assist personal requests of restoring any data, whether on device or through iCloud. Your data, your responsibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.