Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicist.saurav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Kolkata
Hi all,
I am using iPhone 6 plus. My iPhone's touchscreen was not working properly. So, service centre replaced it with a new set. Recently I took some photos on that set. To transfer them to my computer I connected it using the USB cable. iTune opened. It asked me whether I want to use my existing profile or want to use this phone as a new phone. I opted for existing profile. So, automatically something happened, and then I found all my photos are gone! There is NO backup in iCloud or iTune or anywhere else. I called Apple people. They said as there is no backup, so those photos are gone forever.
Is there still any way to recover those photos?
Please help me. Thanks.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I take it that you have no backups of the iPhone from when you took the photos? (before you used iTunes to set it up)

When you were using it to take photos before the iTunes setup, were you logged into an iCloud account and using iCloud photos or storing the photos locally on the device?

One thing to try, and if you're going to do this then stop using your phone completely before you do this to minimise the amount of data thats being overwritten.
Download iFunbox from here and install it. Connect your iPhone and use iFunbox to browse through the filesystem on your iPhone until you locate the photos that are missing, then copy them over to your computer.

This will only work if the data for the photos hasn't actually been overwritten yet, so it will depend on how much your iPhone has been used between then and now. But it's worth a try as often you'll be able to recover much of what you are looking for.

musicist.saurav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Kolkata
Hi TrueBlou,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
As you asked:
1. I have no backup of my iPhone when I took those photos. (before I used iTune to set it up)
2. I was not logged into my iCloud account at the time of taking those pics.. so I guess they were just floating locally unsaved.

I shall try iFunbox and let you know whether it solved the issue or not. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Yeah, In that case your only hope of recovering the photos is to use something like iFunbox and hope that the data hasn't been overwritten yet, good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.