Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
I've been successfully running Mojave 10.14.6 on a Mac Mini I bought a few years back when Apple finally updated the Mini line. I've not upgraded the Mac OSX on the Mini because I still use Adobe CS5 from time to time and Mojave is the last OSX that allows me to do so. However, none of that is the issue here. Let me summarize my issue as briefly as I can.

Two days ago I downloaded an ebook (.epub format) that turned out to be damaged in some unknown way. I double-clicked on it to open it in the Books app and the Books app opened for a millisecond and then crashed. In repeated tries, I couldn't get Books to open long enough to even attempt to delete the damaged .epub file from my Books library. I did move the .epub file out of my Downloads folder and put it in the Trash and emptied Trash, but that made no difference. I then searched for the iBooks folder, deleted what looked like the most recent epub file out of the folder and moved the .plist to the Temporary folder and restarted the Mac a time or two. Upshot: Books app still crashes (though takes a couple of milliseconds longer to do so) and it looked like only 3 ebooks were still in the app.

Since I still have all my (good) ebooks backed-up on an external HD, I can replace them later if I want, but my immediate concern is now to replace the present damaged Books app successfully so that I can start over from scratch. I have Time Machine backups of my Mini going back months, but I do not have a separate Mojave boot disc or thumbdrive.

Is there a way for me to either pluck a pre-damaged Books app out of my Time Machine backups and reinstall that or (argh) reinstall Mojave without risking bolluxing up my whole Mini, which has been working quite well for years now, except for this Books app problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (If there is a better forum to post this in, just let me know.)

MacNeal

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
The Left Coast
Perhaps fittingly, as my plea for aid on my problem with the Books app garnered zero response, I am happy to report that in some mysterious fashion, the problem seems to have magically corrected itself. Perhaps leaving it alone for a day or two did the trick. How and Why, I know not. But there you have it. May your problems resolve themselves so neatly. Carry on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.