Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.borque

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Hello!
I own both Special Editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 on iOS.
Disney (formerly LucasArts) stopped support for these in 2014 and the apps were removed from the appstore in 2015.
Until now this was no problem as I had already downloaded them on my Air2. Unfortunately they are still 32bit and presumably there will be no update. So they will stop working once I am moving to iOS 11.
My idea was to reactivate my old iPad 1 (iOS 5.1.1) just for these apps, but although I have bought them and should own them I am unable to find them in the appstore.
Elsewhere I read that apps that are not available to public any longer but are owned by you can be found and redownloaded in the purchases section. But they are not there.
So how can I get my old apps back? Or can I ask Apple to refund them if they are really gone?
Thanks,
A.borque

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Normally the purchased area in the App Store should be the area to find your apps. The search there didn't result in finding these then hmm.

Another option is checking a desktop/laptop where you maybe synced your iDevice(s) with and apps with in the past and get it from there onto your iDevice. Please be carefull though with synchronisation. I never liked iTunes because no matter what my sync always went wrong via that way and ended up quite a few times with an empty iDevice so it has been years for me that i synced my iDevices with iTunes maybe nowadays it's more stable. Do check your desktop/laptop first if the app is even there and if the sync settings are set ok before you connect your iDevice.

a.borque

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2014
Meanwhile I have found out that withdrawn apps are no longer available in the purchased section.
I found an old backup of my previously used Windows-PC and was able to us it in a VM. There was an old iTUnes-Backup of my iPad which contained MI and so i could reinstall it... Difficult way and perhaps not the best, but it worked...

Reactions: pacorob

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I've found that my Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition I purchased from the app store (I got nostalgic after playing Return To Monkey Island for the Mac off Steam that actually worked great on my ancient 2012 Quad i7 Mac Mini Server (upgraded to 16GB ram and 2TB SSD)). But it says by Apple that it's "corrupted" when I try to run it on that same Mac Mini and I should delete it and re-download it from the App Store. How can I do that when it's not on there anymore??? I looked under my account and it's simply not listed anymore.

It's yet another reason why it's better to have games on physical discs because they might as well have taken my money and flushed it as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea why it stopped working in the first place. I'm still running Mojave on that Mac. You can bet if Steam had sold it for the Mac, you could download it again.

Edit: I tried it again and this time it started up, but full screen mode doesn't seem to work anymore, but at least it runs. I've got the whole OS backed up so that's probably the only thing that will keep it working on the Mac since it doesn't appear there's a way to download it. It's a good thing I didn't delete it when it told me to....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.