Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenrohde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Hi,

I recently got my grandpa to use a 3G enabled iPad for FaceTime and sharing photos. He has never used a computer before in his life so this was a pretty big achievement. However, it has fundamentally changed how we communicate and although we live thousands of miles away I feel like he is much more of a part of our daily lives. He is 85! Amazing right?

Anyhow - as the support person I wanted to find a way to remotely support him when things do eventually go wrong. For example he called me on FaceTime earlier today to let me know one of the icons had moved - the flower is now in the upper right hand corner, he said. The photos icon had moved - most likely because he had tapped it too slowly and the icon started to shake. However I wasn't able to access the iPad to see what he saw and he had to describe to me what he was seeing on the screen. I managed to fix it but it highlighted that there might be a need to remotely be able to support him. Next time might not be so easy.

I suppose the obvious question is, do you have any recommendations around how you might support such a user? What cool tools and apps have you come across that you could recommend - enterprise scale or otherwise?

Thanks a lot

Kenneth and his grandpa!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.