Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admbmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Hello,

About 15 years ago I recorded a bunch of songs with an old band of mine. I still have the files, but they are .wma format. The problem is that at some point, Microsoft put DRM protection on these files, even though they're my own songs. Now I'm trying to convert them because they're the only copies of these songs to exist, and I'd really like to have them in a modern format so I can go down memory lane every now and again.

I have been hunting for a way to get rid of the DRM protection so that I can convert these to a modern format, but I can't find anything of use. Does anybody have any advice on how I can do this? Thank you.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
Why and how on earth would Microsoft put DRM on media files you own?

Anyway. There are lots of DRM removal tools available on the interwebs.

admbmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017

Anyway. There are lots of DRM removal tools available on the interwebs.

So I've used a substantial amount of Google-fu and haven't been able to find software that works. I've tried at least 3 options but they didn't work. Do you know of something that works? Thanks

Edit: And for the first question, I have absolutely no idea. I only discovered this recently.

admbmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Why do you believe they have DRM protection?

Because when I try to use a converter to turn the .wma into an mp3 or other modern file format, the converters always say they can't convert because of DRM protection.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can only guess at the reasons (requests from the music industry?) but there was definitely a period where Windows Media Player would add DRM by default. The "15 years ago" timeframe given by the OP sounds about right.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
I can only guess at the reasons (requests from the music industry?) but there was definitely a period where Windows Media Player would add DRM by default. The "15 years ago" timeframe given by the OP sounds about right.
I do remember having issues ripping some CDs back in the day. I always thought that was a function of the CD coding itself. Huh. Damn you Microsoft.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Windows user for 30-years and don't recall anything like that at all.
Regardless -- why is discussion of violating Microsoft's TOS allowed when all discussion of violating Apple's TOS gets shot down?

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
Windows user for 30-years and don't recall anything like that at all.
Regardless -- why is discussion of violating Microsoft's TOS allowed when all discussion of violating Apple's TOS gets shot down?

Because these files are (supposedly) owned and created by OP, and some bloated nanny state megacorp has decided to restrict his rights to his own property for the crime of paying them money to use their software. And it’s 2017.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Because when I try to use a converter to turn the .wma into an mp3 or other modern file format, the converters always say they can't convert because of DRM protection.
That's just such nasty behavior by software.

Reactions: Nermal

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Something to try (may or may not work):
- Download "ALL2mp3" (free)
- Launch ALL2mp3
- "Drag n drop" one of the problem wma files into ALL2mp3's window, follow instructions.

Do you still get a "DRM" error?

spcoorlas

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Hello,

About 15 years ago I recorded a bunch of songs with an old band of mine. I still have the files, but they are .wma format. The problem is that at some point, Microsoft put DRM protection on these files, even though they're my own songs. Now I'm trying to convert them because they're the only copies of these songs to exist, and I'd really like to have them in a modern format so I can go down memory lane every now and again.

I have been hunting for a way to get rid of the DRM protection so that I can convert these to a modern format, but I can't find anything of use. Does anybody have any advice on how I can do this? Thank you.

Dealing with literally the exact same issue here. Recorded songs with my band. Trying to play old files, but apparently they are all "Protected" files now. Are there retro versions of these media players that would allow the content to play based on year it was created?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Recorded songs with my band. Trying to play old files, but apparently they are all "Protected" files now."

These are .wma files?
Or... some other format?
Are they "playable" on the Mac (even if not "copyable")?

If you can get them to play on the Mac, you could use something like Audio Hijack to "capture" the audio (as it's being played) -- into a "new" file that will be editable...

Reactions: jagolden

Juliagulia55

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2019
Hello,

Heya,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having exactly the same issue. I’ve tried loads of the free software that says it removes DRM but they don’t actually work. I’m happy to pay for software as long as i’m sure it will work.

Thanks,

Julia

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Heya,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I’m having exactly the same issue. I’ve tried loads of the free software that says it removes DRM but they don’t actually work. I’m happy to pay for software as long as i’m sure it will work.

Thanks,

Julia

Easiest way is to burn the files to an audio disc an then rip them back in.

Reactions: mikzn

endoped

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2019
One of the numerous reasons I absolutely despise microsoft. Same thing happened to me. I recorded some original songs about 15 or so years ago. At some point when I had a windoze box, they were either saved as or converted to .wma where they were automatically drm protected...now I can't even listen to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.