Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
iPhone SE 32GB ATT

Here's an odd one. I was on 11.3 b1 but for troubleshooting purposes with Apple Engineering, I downgraded back to 11.2.5 by putting the phone in DFU mode and restoring. When it was done I was on 11.2.5 as expected but the phone wanted to upgrade to 11.3 b1. I noticed the beta profile was still present so I deleted it but the notification badge in settings >> general persisted. I did some more digging and found that the downloaded upgrade file was present in iPhone storage so I deleted it and verified that it was gone. After that, the badge disappeared briefly but soon returned. It is still there under "Software Update" even after several reboots. Clicking on Software Update shows that my software is up to date but the notification badge persists.

Its a small thing, but does anyone know how to get rid of that bogus notification badge? Apple says it is because my Apple ID is linked to the beta but I don't buy it. And even if true, I see no way to unlink it if it is linked???

Paul

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Have you tried doing a clear RAM? I remembered one time I deleted the profile on my Watch but I was still getting beta update but after a few restart fixed it

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iPhone SE 32GB ATT

Here's an odd one. I was on 11.3 b1 but for troubleshooting purposes with Apple Engineering, I downgraded back to 11.2.5 by putting the phone in DFU mode and restoring. When it was done I was on 11.2.5 as expected but the phone wanted to upgrade to 11.3 b1. I noticed the beta profile was still present so I deleted it but the notification badge in settings >> general persisted. I did some more digging and found that the downloaded upgrade file was present in iPhone storage so I deleted it and verified that it was gone. After that, the badge disappeared briefly but soon returned. It is still there under "Software Update" even after several reboots. Clicking on Software Update shows that my software is up to date but the notification badge persists.

Its a small thing, but does anyone know how to get rid of that bogus notification badge? Apple says it is because my Apple ID is linked to the beta but I don't buy it. And even if true, I see no way to unlink it if it is linked???

Paul
You can't. It will NOT go away unless you update or restore your iPhone.

What you could do is install 11.2.5 on top of itself with iTunes to remove it.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks.... not sure it is worth another reinstall >> restore >> sync. I will probably end up back on 11.3 b1 as soon as I'm reasonably sure Apple doesn't need me on the public release any more.

Out of curiosity, why is the badge still there?

Paul

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Would leaving beta program then rejoin later when you're ready to try 11.3 b1?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks.... not sure it is worth another reinstall >> restore >> sync. I will probably end up back on 11.3 b1 as soon as I'm reasonably sure Apple doesn't need me on the public release any more.

Out of curiosity, why is the badge still there?

Paul
The badge appears when a new software update is available. The beta profile made an update appear on your device (the beta), which activated the badge. Once the badge appears it won't go away until an update is installed, even if there isn't one showing up in Settings.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
The badge appears when a new software update is available. The beta profile made an update appear on your device (the beta), which activated the badge. Once the badge appears it won't go away until an update is installed, even if there isn't one showing up in Settings.
Ah, OK. Dumb but understandable ;)

Thanks,
Paul

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Are you able to remove the beta profile?
From my first post: "I noticed the beta profile was still present so I deleted it but the notification badge in settings >> general persisted. ".

Paul

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Try to delete the downloaded update file then in storage usage settings.
From the very next sentence in my first post: "I did some more digging and found that the downloaded upgrade file was present in iPhone storage so I deleted it and verified that it was gone. After that, the badge disappeared briefly but soon returned. "

Paul

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

rhmjanssen

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
SOLVED. For me this worked:

After updating to iOS 12 it prompts to activate 2 Factor Authentication (2FA), but if you have set your iPhone to a language from a country that doesn’t support Apple Pay, this is hidden in Settings, but the badge is there.

Switch to English as standard language and you’ll be prompted to activate 2FA as soon as you enter Settings. Choose ‘not now’, close and switch language back. Et voila! Badge gone

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
SOLVED. For me this worked:

After updating to iOS 12 it prompts to activate 2 Factor Authentication (2FA), but if you have set your iPhone to a language from a country that doesn’t support Apple Pay, this is hidden in Settings, but the badge is there.

Switch to English as standard language and you’ll be prompted to activate 2FA as soon as you enter Settings. Choose ‘not now’, close and switch language back. Et voila! Badge gone
Seems like the badge discussed in this thread was related to something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.