Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMY

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
INTERESTING. I have a Mac Studio with Ventura install and I keep getting notifications to install Monterey. DOWNGRADE? Annoying. Any suggestions?

bobdamnit

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2014
Quickest way to get rid of the red badge in the Dock icon is to make a System Preferences alias and then put that alias in the Dock. For some reason, alias icon's don't get badged when in the Dock. I was even able to remove the alias "arrow" icon from the Dock icon for the aliased System Preference. When opening System Preferences, you will still see the red badge on the software update pane and the update will still be available.

But it does get rid of that stupid red badge.

MadMagezz

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2022
Belarus
After installing the app, check for Manifest Repository Updates from the main menu, then restart the app. In General, give a name to the profile (Defer-Vetura), select System for payload scope, then add Restrictions – Updates: Defer Major OS Software Updates and Defer Major Software Updates Delay for 90 days (or your desired number between 1 and 90). Save the profile and install it.
I had to delete the contents of /Library/Updates, /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist and reboot for the notification to disappear.
The notification has reappeared a month ago and is no longer removed by the iMazed profile. I did it all over again and updated the profile. It didn't help.
Do you have an idea why?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The notification has reappeared a month ago and is no longer removed by the iMazed profile. I did it all over again and updated the profile. It didn't help.
Do you have an idea why?
I have two Macs with Monterey 12.6.3, same profile installed, both show Ventura 13.0.1 as available, but only the M1 shows the notification, the Intel one does not show the red dot.
So, on the M1 I’ve added an additional payload SoftwareUpdate (com.apple.SoftwareUpdate) with forceDelayedSoftwareUpdates true and ManagedDeferredInstallDelay 360.
I remove the profile when I need to install Monterey updates.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PayloadContent</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>ManagedDeferredInstallDelay</key>
            <integer>360</integer>
            <key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
            <string>Software Update</string>
            <key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.25657A62-39EE-46CC-B622-AFFECEC8D3C8</string>
            <key>PayloadType</key>
            <string>com.apple.SoftwareUpdate</string>
            <key>PayloadUUID</key>
            <string>25657A62-39EE-46CC-B622-AFFECEC8D3C8</string>
            <key>PayloadVersion</key>
            <integer>1</integer>
            <key>forceDelayedSoftwareUpdates</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <dict>
            <string>Restrictions</string>
            <string>com.apple.applicationaccess.82727E93-DD8C-4337-8C7C-FF7C5289E813</string>
            <key>PayloadType</key>
            <string>com.apple.applicationaccess</string>
            <key>PayloadUUID</key>
            <string>82727E93-DD8C-4337-8C7C-FF7C5289E813</string>
            <integer>1</integer>
            <key>enforcedSoftwareUpdateMajorOSDeferredInstallDelay</key>
            <integer>90</integer>
            <key>forceDelayedMajorSoftwareUpdates</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </array>
    <string>360delay</string>
    <string>MBA.B7687E76-CDCD-4919-AA8F-2EFEC61214E6</string>
    <key>PayloadScope</key>
    <string>System</string>
    <key>PayloadType</key>
    <string>Configuration</string>
    <key>PayloadUUID</key>
    <string>9BA159F2-F691-47D0-BF22-CF2867DE6D92</string>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>TargetDeviceType</key>
    <integer>5</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Reactions: surszki

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Since updating to 12.6.4 (21G526), Apple stopped pushing the notification for Ventura.
No profile needed.

• Love
Reactions: camelia

ctismer

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
Germany
Code:
#!/bin/zsh
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs
killall Dock
The notification will be displayed again when Software Update or the user will search for software updates.
This is exactly what I wanted. The notifications shut up until there is something new. But I don't always see that annoying red bubble on the running app list. Many thanks! 👍

Reactions: Furka

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I was even able to remove the alias "arrow" icon from the Dock icon for the aliased System Preference.
How did You manage to remove the "alias arrow"?

My routine is to drag&drop the alias onto the desktop, the change the icon to the one without arrow.
But as soon as I drag the modified alias-icon to the dock, it does get the arrow again ...

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Since updating to 12.6.4 (21G526), Apple stopped pushing the notification for Ventura.
No profile needed.
It is true that macOS Sonoma latest version is downloading in the background when running macOS Ventura still?

If yes How do I stop it?

Thanks
Camelia

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
It is true that macOS Sonoma latest version is downloading in the background when running macOS Ventura still?
If yes How do I stop it?
There are reports of “Ventura magically updated to Sonoma 😱” https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ventura-magically-updated-to-sonoma.2416284/

At this point in time, Sonoma can no longer be deferred (hidden) with a configuration profile.

However, you can use a configuration profile to ensure that updates are not automatically downloaded and installed when available, while allowing security updates (Xprotect & MRT) to be installed in the backgroung.
This is an example created with iMazing Profile Editor https://apps.apple.com/app/imazing-profile-editor/id1487860882

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>PayloadContent</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>AutomaticDownload</key>
            <false/>
            <key>AutomaticallyInstallMacOSUpdates</key>
            <false/>
            <string>Software Update</string>
            <string>com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.3790704A-F277-4FF3-B3D5-BD220537018D</string>
            <key>PayloadType</key>
            <string>com.apple.SoftwareUpdate</string>
            <key>PayloadUUID</key>
            <string>2F6FB163-15EC-49A9-9EA9-DB65E5DA8A7E</string>
            <integer>1</integer>
        </dict>
    </array>
    <string>Disable_Auto_Download_Install_Updates</string>
    <string>admins-Mac.5ABD604F-03DA-4050-B6A6-7E0B042E6E9A</string>
    <key>PayloadScope</key>
    <string>System</string>
    <key>PayloadType</key>
    <string>Configuration</string>
    <key>PayloadUUID</key>
    <string>60B1DA91-009B-43AB-B475-00FB44B7485D</string>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>TargetDeviceType</key>
    <integer>5</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

In the Software Update payload, uncheck only “Download newly available..” and “Automatically install macOS updates”.
The two will appear greyed out in System Settings – General – Software Update - (i)
Apple’s documentation https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/softwareupdate
Auto_Download_Install.jpg
imazing_profile.jpg

• Love
Reactions: camelia

zacharyz

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Success! :)
View attachment 2105708
According to Apple, next major macOS version can be deferred for 90 days.
https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/test-and-defer-software-updates-depd30715cbb/web
13.0 Hidden by MDM until 01/22/2023 https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/use-mdm-to-deploy-software-updates-depafd2fad80/web

I posted before about this https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-updates-in-apps-store.2222270/post-28552515
but now we have more information and a more convenient way: iMazing Profile Editor https://imazing.com/guides/getting-started-with-imazing-profile-editor

After installing the app, check for Manifest Repository Updates from the main menu, then restart the app. In General, give a name to the profile (Defer-Vetura), select System for payload scope, then add Restrictions – Updates: Defer Major OS Software Updates and Defer Major Software Updates Delay for 90 days (or your desired number between 1 and 90). Save the profile and install it.
I had to delete the contents of /Library/Updates, /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist and reboot for the notification to disappear.
This iMazing thing seems promising! but i am in the dark on how to set that up in iMazing. I'm not seeing anything called "Manifest Repository Updates" in the side menu. oh, i see it now, it's in the top menu.

i'm still a little confused. because this "Updates: Defer Major OS Software Updates and Defer Major Software Updates Delay for 90 days " is a sentence. and i'm looking for an action. i see that we are not using code now, and this program uses check boxes. but i'm not seeing a checkbox for that option. when i select "system", i did find that option, noting happens. i'm not given any "restrictions" to choose from.

i'm just another guy trying to get rid of these red dots and persistent notifications. people should not be required to upgrade! especially that my computer is already new and running a newer os. upgrading could deactivate programs that aren't ready for it.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
i'm just another guy trying to get rid of these red dots and persistent notifications.
Ventura and Sonoma can not be hidden with a configuration profile now.
If you install a profile, it will hide the versions released in the last 90 days. But you will see the ones released more than 90 days ago, along with the red dot.
“Hidden by MDM until” https://support.apple.com//guide/deployment/depafd2fad80/web

For the other notification, see OSXDaily - "How to Stop “Upgrade to MacOS Sonoma” Notifications on Macs"
https://osxdaily.com/2024/02/13/how-to-stop-upgrade-to-macos-sonoma-notifications-mac/

Reactions: zacharyz

zacharyz

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
Ventura and Sonoma can not be hidden with a configuration profile now.
If you install a profile, it will hide the versions released in the last 90 days. But you will see the ones released more than 90 days ago, along with the red dot.
“Hidden by MDM until” https://support.apple.com//guide/deployment/depafd2fad80/web

For the other notification, see OSXDaily - "How to Stop “Upgrade to MacOS Sonoma” Notifications on Macs"
https://osxdaily.com/2024/02/13/how-to-stop-upgrade-to-macos-sonoma-notifications-mac/
I think I might upgrade to Sonoma just to get rid of the notifications. I feel like i don't have a good reason not to upgrade. i do still think it is silly to pressure people to upgrade, i have a new computer with Ventura, and Ventura works great. but the notifications annoy me. it's a great computer other then that. I'm not using any "old" applications right now, mostly new stuff, so it should all work on Sonoma. you just never know, maybe they will make some annoying change to the interface or something.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I open System Settings app, or click after the notification and just minimize it to the dock. This mishap about the notifications will never make me update to Sonoma. Not the best solution, but it works for me.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I can’t advise anyone else to do the same, but I have SIP disabled and I have disabled the SoftwareUpdateNotification process:

Code:
launchctl bootout gui/501/com.apple.SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager
launchctl disable gui/501/com.apple.SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager

I don’t know if it affects App Store as well, but I know it has to be turned on again when performing Monterey updates:
Code:
launchctl enable gui/501/com.apple.SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager
and reboot.

Reactions: rmadsen3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.